cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamips on AMD

aneesh.ts
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to know the AMD hardware configuration needed to run dynamips confortably. I am confused regarding the hardware/Software to go for. Intel or AMD. Windows or Linux???

Thanks in advance.

AneesH

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

I've loaded GNS3 on both Windows and Linux and noticed Linux (Ubuntu) was able to run my IPExpert lab the best. This lab has 15 routers. I utilize my laptop to connect in, and the Ubuntu box just runs GNS3 fine. The Ubuntu box has an Intel Duo 2.66 with 4GB of RAM. My Vista laptop has a Duo 2.4 with 4GB of RAM and it would get sluggish beyond 6-7 routers. Tweaking IdlePC works great, although it takes patience and time. Ubuntu I was able to get more routers started and working with less time then Windows. I'm a big Windows guy, but Ubuntu definitely takes the cake for this app.

Hope this helps, rate if it does,

JB

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

stanleyli
Level 1
Level 1

it dosen't matter you run dynamips on AMD or Intel pc but there might be differences between Windows and Linux version. Normally you need a pc with more than 1G RAM to run dynamips smoothly

I would like to run atleast 8 sessions. Heard I would have to run atleast Intel Core 2 Quad Processor with 4 GB RAM. What would be the AMD configuration i should go for in such a case?

i run dynamips with intel core 2 duo and 2 gig ram.

Aneesh,

If you want to have more router sessions with dynamips, try to use 2 or more machines and distribute the lab across multiple hyperwiser instances (only the port on the hypervisor needs to be different)

I run dynamips on 2 Dual core 1Gb machines and can successfully emulate 8 routers

HTH

Narayan

I have an AMD64 with 1 GB RAM running Debian Linux (etch 64-bit) and i use 64 bit dynamips.

I was able to run 9 routers, with BGP and OSPF and my CPU utilisation was at 60-65%, with 3640-JS image.

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

if you really want to lower cpu on your PC with minimum specs, save an idlepc value. there's a tutorial on how to do this http://www.dynagen.org/tutorial.htm#_Toc193247999

jpoplawski
Level 1
Level 1

I've loaded GNS3 on both Windows and Linux and noticed Linux (Ubuntu) was able to run my IPExpert lab the best. This lab has 15 routers. I utilize my laptop to connect in, and the Ubuntu box just runs GNS3 fine. The Ubuntu box has an Intel Duo 2.66 with 4GB of RAM. My Vista laptop has a Duo 2.4 with 4GB of RAM and it would get sluggish beyond 6-7 routers. Tweaking IdlePC works great, although it takes patience and time. Ubuntu I was able to get more routers started and working with less time then Windows. I'm a big Windows guy, but Ubuntu definitely takes the cake for this app.

Hope this helps, rate if it does,

JB

Hey james,

That has been really haepful man. I heard about Ubuntu linux having dynamips built in....Am going to buy a Intel Core 2 quad PC this weekend.I've made up my mind to go for ubuntu linux. VMware would also be installed to run Windows in that. :)

I would require your help in setting GNS in that man if you don't mind.

Aneesh,

Let me know. It's as straight forward as it comes. The site has a great setup guide and they also have a support forum specifically for the software. The site is located here http://www.gns3.net/.

Hope this helps,

JB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card