power over ethernet with cisco 2600 router

Unanswered Question
Nov 23rd, 2008

Cisco 2651XM router

fitted with ...

NM-16ESW 16 port switch

I was going to buy a PoE daughterboard (PPWR-DCARD-16ESW?) and fit it to the NM-16ESW switch but I'd like to make sure I'm not wasting my money. I want PoE to for some ip phones I'll be connecting to the switch. I think I read somewhere the 2600 routers won't power the phones, is this true?

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
glen.grant Sun, 11/23/2008 - 13:54

I would say that is more than likely true . The 2600 is no longer even sold and was really before POE became prevalent so I doubt the power supplies could handle a powered switch card.

allan.thomas Sun, 11/23/2008 - 14:43

Unfortunately in order to be able to utilise the capabilities of the PoE daughterboard you will also need to provision an external power supply.

The PPWR-PS-CHASSIS is specifically for the 2600 and 3600 series. It is an external power unit which can support 4 360W power supplies. Or there is the PWR-CHASSIS-360W, which is the chassis and a single 48V 360W power supply.

• PPWR-PS-CHASSIS: The power chassis is an external chassis that can support up to four 360W power supplies, which can provide power over ethernet to Cisco phones or wireless access points. This chassis can support up to 144 IP phones @ 10W per port (or less devices at <10W per port). The external PPWR-PS-CHASSIS is for use with the Cisco 2600 and 3600 Series. The 2800, 3700, and 3800 Series internal power supply can be upgraded to provide Power over Ethernet and the external chassis is not used for these routers. Also available is a custom cable that connects the power supply to the Cisco EtherSwitch Modules. Cable options allowing for power supply redundancy are also available. The power over ethernet works over standard Category 5 unshielded twisted-pair (UTP) cable up to 100 meters and allows direct power instead of using wall power with a transformer. This allows customers to use existing Category 5 UTP installations. The Cisco EtherSwitch Module power over ethernet implementation passes the required U.S. and international safety regulations and compliance measures.

See the following URL for further details:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/product_data_sheet09186a00801aca3e.html

Hope this helps.

Allan.

Pls rate helpful posts.

Actions

This Discussion