Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 doesn't allow 'xmodeming' a new boot loader into MSFC

Hi all!

I have a major problem with a 6509 supervisor engine (WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE). I have lost the boot loader in the MSFC1 and I cannot upload a new boot loader image.

I run the supervisor switch engine in Rommon mode first and load the image from flash card (slot0:) manually with the command BOOT=slot0:c6sup11-jk2s-mz.121-26.E4.bin. After this, the supervisor gives command to the MSFC (router). At this point, I try to upload the boot loader with the xmodem function with the command 'xmodem -c -s9600' as specified in the instructions found on the Cisco website, but the upload fails after 7% of the upload is complete and the system crashes, giving out on screen the following error output:

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

signal= 0x17, code= 0x24, context= 0x61a38354

PC = 0x6012f818, Cause = 0x1820, Status Reg = 0x34018002

rommon 2 >

and returns into supervisor mode.

Please help! What is the problem? Thanks,

Stef

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Stefania,

notes

his procedure can take up to 35 to 45 minutes. Also, the first Xmodem transfer can fail with this error message:

"Error : compressed image checksum is incorrect 0xBAA10EAA

Expected a checksum of 0x6F65EA12

*** System received a Software forced crash ***

signal= 0x17, code= 0x5, context= 0x0

PC = 0x800080d4, Cause = 0x20, Status Reg = 0x3040d003"

>>>Do not reset the RP. Issue the xmodem command again, and wait 35 to 45 minutes. This time, the transfer succeeds.

from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa1.shtml#xmodem

You need to do it another time

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you Giuseppe for your help but I tried it many times and never worked! :(

Hello Stefania,

have you tried without resetting the RP at each attempt ?

If so I would ask for replacement (Cisco RMA or via a partner)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi giuseppe! Yes, I have tried but the switch was complaining about resetting...no reset, no reboot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card