Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadband connectivity drops.

grambo1980
Level 1
Level 1

sh ver | i IOS|(revision)

Cisco IOS Software, 2801 Software (C2801-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(3g), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Cisco 2801 (revision 6.0) with 235520K/26624K bytes of memory.

Hello,

We've been seeing our WAN connection drop every 20 minutes or so. (Give or take 5-10 min)

This router is connected to a Time warner cable modem (Zyxel). We are using GRE over IPsec to tunnel the traffic.

Basically what we are seeing is we see the connectivity drop, and will not restore until the ARP table is cleared.

They've replaced the modem and done numerous config checks on it. and nothing comes back of intrest.

So one thing I did see that makes me think its an issue on TW side of things is when i do a debug arp I see alllll of TW's ARP traffic being forwarded from their upstream router. I don't see this traffic on any of our other routers with similar configurations. But this along with the fact that a "clear arp" litterly fixes the issue in seconds makes me think its the problem.

I honestly have never seen anything like this and would be intrested in any opinions.

I attached a quick log of a debug arp. I also X'd and Y'd out our real ip/mac.

Thanks.

17 Replies 17

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Neil,

I agree that they have some problem: the head end is probably forwarding ARP requests on your part of the network.

What if you try to add a static ARP entry for the upstream router ?

Something like:

conf t

arp 176.20.60.3 22cd.00bb.0002 ARPA

note: use the correct values for your network.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for the Reply Giuseppe,

When I had worked with TAC on this for a while we did attempt to do a static ARP entry - which did not resolve the issue.

Hello Neil,

it was the fist thing I thought of in a case like this.

Have you tried to submit these logs to the provider's support people ?

It could help to make them admit the problem is on their side

the timing of 20 minutes +/- 5 minutes could be the time to fill the ARP table on your router with these useless entries.

In addition to hardcode the upstream router mac you should find a way to filter incoming ARP frames but I'm afraid you cannot have an Access-list based on ethertype on your device.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Boy it would be nice if they would admit that its an issue on their side :) they keep blaming the router.

Its been esclated 10 ways to sunday, and hopefully it finally reached someone who understands.

Giuseppe - that was also my thinking about the relevance to the how long it takes for the connection to go down.

The only other thing I found that has helped a little bit is to set a very low arp cache timeout on the ethernet interface. This way when the issue does occur it only takes a few seconds until the connection comes back.

Hello Neil,

>> The only other thing I found that has helped a little bit is to set a very low arp cache timeout on the ethernet interface. This way when the issue does occur it only takes a few seconds until the connection comes back.

The problem you are facing is an ARP rewrite of the upstream router's mac address: this explains the benefits provided by a very low arp cache timeout: the router is able to get rid of the wrong entry quickly instead of trying to use it for long time.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

tcordier
Level 1
Level 1

I once had it that the provider had proxy-arp enabled on its router which created similar symptoms like the one you describe. You could check that with TW.

- Thomas

Good to know - I will check that.

Thanks for the reply Thomas.

ed.mcandrew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys...

Has there been any additional movement on this? I am having the exact same problems with Time Warner (Zyxel). The drops happen about once every 14 minutes for between 8 and 17 seconds. I'm trying the arp timeout at 1 second and watching the arp debug. I don't have a slew of wrong cable entries, just one every so often (trying to correlate it with the drops now)...

2008-12-18 09:00:02 Local7.Debug 10.0.0.254 399522: 992487: *Dec 18 09:04:27.071 PCTime: IP ARP req filtered src 192.168.1.1 0019.cb51.74a8, dst xx.xx.xx.xx 0000.0000.0000 wrong cable, interface FastEthernet0/0

Hi Ed,

I did actually get the issue resolved. However the root cause was never really identified. I had to have Time warner swap out the modem for a different brand modem. After this occured, we did not see the massive wrong interface ARP issues after that.

I think getting the occasional wrong interface message every so often is some what normal.

TW wouldnt give me access to this specific modem so i couldnt really look at it further. And they denied that their modem was misconfigured, or the root cause of the issue. So who knows.

I don't know if this will help you/them correlate the problem at all , but my ticket number to my specific issue was: [TWC ticket# 3210882]

They're trying to tell me that there is nothing wrong with the modem. I'm pinging my first hop past the modem through the router and I see the drops. They pinged it directly connected to the modem at the same time that I saw the drops, theirs did not drop, so they cite the router and have washed their hands of the modem...

Thanks for getting back so quickly. I guess I'll get them involved again.

Also, I forgot to mention that setting the interface speed to 10mbit seems to help the problem (takes the range from 14 minutes to as much as 2 hours).

Yeah I would prolly just ask or demand even that they replace the modem with a different brand of modem.

What brand did you get?

They provided an Ambit modem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco