Views
Helpful
Replies

Giga port: auto-negociation and fixed speed

jabouaf
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I have a question regarding the giga port o catalyst 4500 switches.

I read that for giga links, auto-negociation is the best (speed, duplex, pause frame). Then what happens if the speed is forced, with a cat2960 switch, even with not crossed cable and using the mdix-auto fonction ? (the link is ok)

I have:

speed 1000, duplex full on both side (cat4500, cat2960)

I found the the mdix-auto fonction run with auto-negociation. Then the speed is forced (the duplex too) with the mdix-auto and a not-cross cable. The link seems to be ok anyway.

So is the fixed configuration really used ?

the card on the cat4510 is a WS-X4448-GB-RJ45; On the remote side we have a cat2960 using the giga port (gi 0/1).

Regards,

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would think that the only reason you would want auto on any link is if you think there will be a slower speed connected. On gb links, chances are a host is connecting at 100mb, and if you set to 1000/full, the host won't connect because the port won't negotiate a slower speed. If you have two gb ports connected and hard coded and the link is up, you're fine.

--John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi,

my experience is auto-mdix sometimes doesn't work if duplex/speed is set to fixed values.

On the other hand, auto-negotiation sometimes doesn't work is the connected device is produced by a different vendor.

BR,

Milan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card