cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

H-REAP and switch access port.

jharaldsson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I want to install an H-REAP AP in a remote office on a switch access port (none trunk). The AP IP and users on the local switched WLAN will be on the same network/Vlan. I want to put the AP in H-REAP local switching on one SSID and central switching on another SSID (guest). Is this possible? Should the Vlan id in the WLC be set to vlan 1 for this H-REAP local swithing WLAN?

Can you help me?

3 Replies 3

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Why would you want to have local user traffic on the same vlan with your network management traffic? Wouldn't it make more sense to just put the switchport into trunking mode and use multiple vlans?

This is an installation of two AP's in a small office with one existing switch that is out of my control. In this case it would be more trouble than it's worth to implement a management Vlan to accommodate these AP's.

jharaldsson
Level 1
Level 1

This is what i found on Cisco.com:

To Trunk or not to Trunk

H-REAP access points may be connected to 802.1Q trunk links or untagged access links. When connected to a trunk link, H-REAP access points send their LWAPP control and data traffic back to the controller via the native VLAN. Locally switched WLANs may then have their traffic dropped on any available VLANs (native, or otherwise). When set to operate on an access link (with no 802.1Q visibility), H-REAPs forward all LWAPP messages and locally switched user data out to the single, untagged subnet to which it is connected.

General guidelines for selecting the switchport mode for H-REAPs are as follows:

• Use a trunk link if more than one WLAN is configured for local switching and if traffic on these SSIDs needs to be dropped on different subnets. Both the access point and the upstream switchport need to be configured for 802.1Q trunking. Configuring H-REAPs for 802.1Q trunking is the most common configuration and provides the most flexibility.

• Use an access link when H-REAPs either do not have more than a single locally switched WLAN or have multiple locally switched WLANs that do not require wired-side separation. Be aware that a trunk link may still be desirable under these conditions if separation between LWAPP messaging and user data is desired. However, this is neither a configuration requirement, nor a security risk.

Note: H-REAP access points default to operate on untagged, access link interfaces.

Now i know :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card