cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIRT Installs in German

m.pratt
Level 1
Level 1

I just downloaded the Disaster Recovery Backup 1.1.9 - 5/6/2008 for Unity 4.X from http://www.ciscounitytools.com and it installs in German. Anyone know how to change this or get the english version?

Thanks

Mark

7 Replies 7

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Mark,

In the CommServer\Utilities\DisasterRecoveryBackup directory, do you have the following?

unityDisasterRecoveryBackup_DEU.dll

unityDisasterREcoveryBackup_ENU.dll

unityDisasterRecoveryBackup_FRA.dll

unityDisasterRecoveryBackup_JPN.dll

Maybe you're missing the ENU.dll or its corrupted? If you have another Unity server with these, try copying it over and replacing it.

Hope this helps,

Brad

Mark,

You also may want to try opening DiRT and go to Help>About and then click the "Change Language" link and see if it goes back to English for you.

Brad

m.pratt
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks guys, tried both suggestions and still in German or am I going to need to reboot between unistall re-install? Anyone else have any ideas?

Try add/remove programs and remove it and re-install it again. You won't need to reboot.

Thanks all for your help. I finally had to go into D:\CommServer\Utilities and rename DiRTBackup to DiRTBackupOld and then reinstall it. That was the only way I could get it to install in English. Even after doing Add/Remove programs it was still there.

Again, Thanks all.

Mark

Just to follow up here - I think this was related to the auto installed version of DiRT that shipped with Unity installs for a few versions where the DEU DLL was duplicated over the ENU dll. The uninstall doesn't remove these when you run the uninstaller since Install Shield did not put htem there (i.e. the Unity setup XCOPIES them there) - Install Shield wont remove what it didn't add.

Short version - the English resource strings for DiRT (and most desktop applications for Windows) are contained in the EXE itself as well as in the external resource DLL file. If you delete all the resource language DLLs it will force the application to fall back on the english strings - this is the quickest way to force English if you're having a problem. The external DLL reference is there so folks can localize information in the field without having to produce a new EXE.

Your trick renaming to ...Old and reinstalling did the job.

Thanks for the assist.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: