Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Supervisor Engine 32 PISA IOS Redundancy

jgtheodor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I have to install an 6509-E chassis with 2 Supervisor Engines 32 PISA IOS in slots 5 & 6 respectively in a collapsed core desing. I must decide which redundant configuration mode to choose. Beside the NSF with SSO & RPR redundancy is there any other method to use? What is the basic difference between these available modes? On these 32 PISA IOS will be connected the Access switches. One link in the first one and the redundant link on the other. Can I use Vlan load balancing?

5 years ago I configured an 6509 chassis with 2 Supervisor engines 2. In that case the first active supervisor was configured as HSRP active for the half of the used vlans and the other was configure as HSRP active for the other half. Can I use this scenario in this supervisor 32 PISA?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

John,

There three kinds of supervisor redundancy RPR, RPR+, and SSO. I would recommend the use of SSO with NSF if possible. I think you were using Hybrid mode (Catos + IOS on the MSFC) allowing you to do that. It is not possible to share the load amongst supervisors within the chassis using native IOS. Here is an excellent guide on supervisor redundancy and how to configure it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807714cb.shtml

HTH,

Mark

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

John,

There three kinds of supervisor redundancy RPR, RPR+, and SSO. I would recommend the use of SSO with NSF if possible. I think you were using Hybrid mode (Catos + IOS on the MSFC) allowing you to do that. It is not possible to share the load amongst supervisors within the chassis using native IOS. Here is an excellent guide on supervisor redundancy and how to configure it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_configuration_example09186a00807714cb.shtml

HTH,

Mark

Hi Mark,

You are right. Now I have the chassis with Native IOS so I can use the SSO with NSF redundant mode.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card