BCMSN Test Problems

Unanswered Question
Nov 25th, 2008

I took the BCMSN test today and had a major issue with one of the Simlets. I had never seen any Cisco tests do this before. My first question was a Simlet. I opened up the Simlet question and I had a bunch of small boxes that I could move around the screen and expand. There was a box with the question, a box for the topology, a box for the instructions, and a box for each of 2 console sessions. I COULD NOT EXPAND THE CONSOLE BOXES WIDE ENOUGH TO SEE THE ENTIRE OUTPUT!!!!!!! I could only see a portion of the show commands, the box cut off about 1/4 of the end of it (to include some of the important information I needed to see). I ended up having to guess for a few of the questions. I could expand all of the other boxes as wide as I wanted, but the stupid console boxes would not expand. Talk about a crappy way to start a test. I was flustered, and ended up spending 15 minutes on that first question (that included time talking with the proctor to find out if she could do anything (which she couldn't)).

I ended up passing anyway, but that was a really stressful way to start a test. I have opened a case with Cisco to address the problem. Hopefully future test takers will never have that issue! BTW, if anyone wants to open a ticket with Cisco in regards to a test they took, they can call 1-800-553-6387.

Has anyone else had that issue before?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
scottmac Tue, 11/25/2008 - 14:53

I have not, but I believe your best course of action would have been to get a proctor from the testing center, show them the issue, and request a re-test.

If you had finished and failed this test, they probably would not have provided a re-test, because you did not point out the problem when it was happening.

If the proctor says there's nothing to be done, then scratch the test, get a refund, and try another testing center (if that's an option).

In all cases, report it to Cisco. I can't say that it'll do any good, because so many of the testing centers (yoo hoo, Cisco .....) HAVE REALLY POOR TESTING EQUIPMENT, CHEAP CRAP, BAD ERGONOMICS, LITTLE TINY CRTS, OLD SLOW COMPUTERS ...{The list is dreadfully long}.

Why they allow testing centers to use such crap still confounds me.

I'm happy to hear that you passed, congrats!

Good Luck

Tim Kerr Tue, 11/25/2008 - 16:07

I frantically raised my hand and waited for the proctor to come in. She couldn't do anything about the exam though. Pearson Vue gets the tests from Cisco (I know this because I called Pearson Vue first, then I called Cisco). I will post on here with the resluts from the case I opened with Cisco. The only thing that I didn't do (I wish I had) was to add a comment for that question. Because for each quetsion you can add a comment.

johnlloyd_13 Thu, 11/27/2008 - 06:55

kudos you passed! this will let others know (including cisco), the reality of testing centers nowadays. we should be more vigilant in knowing the testing center's facilities before taking an exam. i've taken cisco exams in 2 different testing centers in our country and i could say the second one is which i'm most comfortable with. we should get back the value of our money we spend for taking such exams by having a decent PC to work with.

Tim Kerr Thu, 11/27/2008 - 08:45

Thanks! That is the third test I have taken there, and I have had great experiences every time except the most recent one. I got a reply back from Cisco by the way, and all they said is that they have let the test developers know about the issue. I guess I can't really expect too much else.

This Discussion