cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FTP access via PIX 501

hufcor
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to provide my FTP connection with a friendly name. Currently, user type FTP://the domain name.com in order to access FTP services. My question is how do I simplify it by making it FTP://ftp.friendly.com.

Do I simply add the domain name to my PIX by using the domain-name command?

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to clarify your question a bit. You say that the user is typing ftp://domain.com, so I don't understand the "how do I simplify it" question.

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I apologize…

Let me attempt to better clarify - I have configured my PIX 501 to allow FTP traffic to my FTP Server inside my network.

In order for a user to access FTP resources from outside the network…he would need to type: FTP:// (IP Address). What I would like to accomplish is allowing the user to type: FTP://the domain name.com (using a name rather than the IP Address).

Please Advise,

Leo

You'll need to register a domain name such as myftpserver.com. Then you'll need to create a host record for ftp in your DNS server or providers server.

ftp A 5.5.5.5

This would append "ftp" to myftpserver.com. It's done the same way a webserver is for "www."

www a 5.5.5.6

ping http://www.myftpserver.com

reply from 5.5.5.6

The above of course is just me typing it out, and not a real server or ping response. ;-)

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card