cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need WCS for only one WLC ?

kimqv
Level 1
Level 1

I am going to deploy a WLC 4402 to about 30 APs of AIR-LAP1131AG-E-K9 over WAN.

The solution will use for the guest to access to only Internet.

The guest will have an account by Guest Access Lobby Ambassador from WLC, Clients get IP from DHCP server.

In case , the employee also will have an account from WLC for WLAN service, can WLC issue an permenant account for employee ?

Do I need an WCS in this solution ?

regards,

kimqv

2 Replies 2

dennischolmes
Level 7
Level 7

That depends on your definition of "Need". WCS will allow you to do a lot of things like the ability to locate a single client or rogue device on a map. Very valuable feature. It will also allow you to do detailed reports about client usage on the network as well as RF statistics in an easily read format. Personally, if you're spending the money for 30 APS and a 4402-50 then I would get the WCS. My experience has been that once a wireless deployment takes off other sites will follow. I strongly suggest a separate WLC for each sites with WCS centrally managing from a corporate data center.

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Note that if your network relies on a single WLC, then if that controller fails your entire wireless network goes down. It also means that you cannot lab-test changes to your networl; every change you make immediately affects all of your users.

Which is to say that a second controller is recommended for almost any deployment I've ever seen... and if you have two controllers, a WCS cuts your workload in half.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card