Views
Helpful
Replies

Address determined by setup command

anasubra_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

When I look under "show ip interface Gig" command, I see a line mentioned as "Address determined by setup command",what is that mean .

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

Anantha Subramanian Natarajan

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Anatha

When you first configure a router you can through the setup routine and answer some basic questions, one of which asks you to assign an IP address to the router interface(s). When this router was first setup it looks like the IP address on gig?? was configured this way.

Jon

Jon,

That's what I thought at first, but I looked at my switch.

I have two tags:

"Address determined by setup"

"Address determined by configuration file"

They are on VLANs that I manually configured. I looked for what this meant, but I can't find anything on it. I didn't set my switch up by the initial setup wizard.

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John Blakely,

Thanks for taking time in looking into your switch and explaining your inference. This is also my finding on this.

Thanks

Regards

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the response. The explanation looks logical but it didn't match to our router config setup. The configuration on this Gig sub-interface is done manually. Do you know any reason why the manually configured ip address would be show as "Address determined at setup" ?

Thanks once again

Anantha,

The only thing that I can see that could have anything to do with it is:

You have a helper address on the interface

You have an ip address on the interface

It's set up as a routed port

I've yet to find anything on Cisco's site explaining what this means, but I see it in my switches as well.

HTH,

John

Hi John Blakley,

Thanks

Regards

Found it! :-)

Address determined by...

Indicates how the IP address of the interface was determined.

It's on this page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/configfun/command/reference/frweb.html#wp1017753

Scroll down a little ways and it will explain the fields.

HTH,

John

Hi John Blakley,

Thanks for the link. Unfortunatley I find only the feild is been explained as "Indicates how the IP address of the interface was determined" . Assuming in our case it is by setup,it may not be right I guess. The ip address for this interface is configured manually and not by setup.

What do you think ?

Thanks

Regards

Well, I have two in my config and they are only on my VLAN SVIs.

Address determined by configuration file

Address determined by setup

I "feel" that the "configuration file" is caused by running setup initially. (I didn't set this switch up from scratch, and I recently found out that it was run by setup.)

I think the "setup" line is a manual configuration, much like if you were to configure HSRP and it says that the address was "configured." I think this is Cisco's way of saying "You set it up this way."

HTH,

John

Hi John Blakley,

Thanks for clarifying the meaning,I misunderstood that. Now, I see some other sub-interfaces on that Gig interface is showing "Address determined by Configuration File" and also in this case,these addresses are configured manually. Any thoughts on that ?

Thanks

Regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco