Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax machines do not receive with VG224

ricohsupport
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have fax machines from Pitney and Ricoh behind a VG224. The Ricoh unit will intermittently not receive...it rings but does not pick up or fails handshake. The Pitney unit gives a fast busy signal. The Ricoh has been adjusted to begin communications at 9600, but the problems still exist. What can be adjusted in the VG224 to support the fax communication?

8 Replies 8

Keith Fulcher
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

It depends on which protocol you are using (SCCP, MGCP) but you should configure the Fax Passthrough commands. I would list them, but it varies per protocol.

First try normal voice calls by hooking up a normal analog phone and make sure that your problem is 100% related to faxing. If analog phones fail, you will need to troubleshoot a normal voice call.

If normal phone calls work fine, try adding these commands:

voice service voip

fax protocol none

modem passthrough nse codec g711ulaw

Will this work if the VG224 is running MGCP?

Thanks,

Doug

Hi Doug,

MGCP:

mgcp modem passthrough voip mode nse

mgcp modem passthrough voip codec g711ulaw

-nick

Hi Nick,

I am also having intermittent fax problems.

We have high volumes, usually 500 plus faxes per day. About every 2 weeks we get between 5 and 10 complaints of "incomplete" faxes. For instance: it should be a 10 page fax... we get 5 pages, but the sender does not get an error sheet. We are running CUCM 4.2(3).

Any ideas? or do you need more information?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Very hard to say. You could have packet loss/jitter in your network, or slips on your T1s.

Those are you big ones.

You could also try disabling ecm:

no mgcp fax ecm

-nick

Hi Nick,

Funny that you mentioned T1's slips and packet loss/jitter, that is where I was starting to look for problems. I will keep a close eye on those.

I also noticed we can not set network clock on the VG224's like we do on 3845 gateways. Is that not necessary?

I am using fax pass through on the VG224's, and have "no mgcp fax t38 ecm".

In my version of code I do not see "no mgcp fax ecm".

Thanks for the tips, I will let you know about the T1's and network.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

The slips are specific to the T1.

-nick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: