cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2611XM Router IOS with SSH

chee.wan01
Level 1
Level 1

Currently our client are using thirty units of 2611XM router with IOS c2600-js-mz.123-26.bin.

For security requirement, they have to upgrade all the routers to provide SSH access. At the moment each unit have 128MB DRAM and 32MB flash.

Having tested a few IOS 12.4 versions, but for some reason, after booting the device, it complaint about 'Memory requirement are 'UNKNOWN' or maybe unsupported configuration.

Just wondering if anyone has came across such problem. Can provide more details if needed.

thanks.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chee

When I first read your post I thought that the issue was that the IOS requires more memory for the version you were trying than was available on your routers. But I checked and 12.4 code with the IP BASE (including crypto) fits well within your memory of 128/32. Even the Enterprise BASE or Enterprise Services fits within your available memory. So I assume that it must be some other problem. Perhaps if you would post all the messages sent to the console during the boot process we might find what is your issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for your input. Yes, you are right with the 12.4 fitting in well. TAC advised the

12.3 jsk9 version and it does provide the feature and yet no hardware error message during booting. So we will stay with 12.3 jsk9 till we have a need to move to 12.4

thanks again.

Cheers,

Chee

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Chee,

I think what you are seeing is completely normal, and expected during the boot up sequence. I believe this this was introduced in the 12.4 IOS to warn you of unsupported configurations, or software issues. Here is the output of one of my routers running 12.4 and and everything works fine.

smart init is sizing iomem

ID MEMORY_REQ TYPE

00036F 0X00103980 C2651XM Dual Fast Ethernet

0X00098670 public buffer pools

0X00211000 public particle pools

TOTAL: 0X003ACFF0

If any of the above Memory Requirements are

"UNKNOWN", you may be using an unsupported

configuration or there is a software problem and

system operation may be compromised.

Rounded IOMEM up to: 3Mb.

Using 2 percent iomem. [3Mb/128Mb]

Also here is a great answer to a post from Rick regarding a similar question.

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=Getting%20Started%20with%20LANs&topicID=.ee7c7c1&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddf6c16

HTH,

Mark

Thanks Mark. You were right. Tested ours and they didn't cause any problem.

Chee

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card