Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLAN Override missing after upgrade

Hello,

we updated out WISM and WLC to 5.2.157 and now we could not see the "WLAN Override" settings and all SSIDs are on all access points available. We know that 5.2 is very new and it is dangerous to use such new versions but we need some feature of this release. We also could not find any configuration in the official configuration guide any longer or see any hints in the release notes.

Is there anyone with the same problem or a hint how to resolve the problem?

Thanks.

9 Replies 9

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

I believe WLAN Override is deprecated in 5.2; if I'm remembering correctly, the replacement feature is to use AP Groups to specify which wlans are available per group.

Yes you are right. "AP Group" is the right feature to use. Everything is working fine now. Should be mentioned in the release notes and not as a side note in the configuration guide.

I found a "little" bug with the AP Groups...

If you create the AP Group from WCS, when the Group is applied to the controller, the interface for any of the defined WLANs (in the AP Group) will be set to the management interface no matter what was configured in WCS.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Gabriel,

Nice catch on this one! +5 points for your good work.

Cheers!

Rob

miller-p
Level 1
Level 1

I noticed that also. I believe it's gone. It's not in the CLI or the GUI. My hunch is they may have had conflicting features and kept it out. Beware of 5.1.151, I hit a few bugs right off the bat with H-REAP.

jakew
Level 1
Level 1

The AP Grouping feature has been enhanced in 5.2 to support the new 512 WLAN capabilities. These changes made WLAN Override obsolete. I'll have to double-check, but this should've been documented in the release notes.

It was in the release notes. I didn't notice it myself at first, and when I went looking for it today in 5.2 of course the WLAN Override option wasn't there. Here is the note from the release notes:

Note In controller software release 5.2.157.0, the WLAN override feature has been removed from both the controller GUI and CLI. If your controller is configured for WLAN override and you upgrade to controller software release 5.2.157.0, the controller deletes the WLAN configuration and broadcasts all WLANs. You can specify that only certain WLANs be transmitted by configuring access point groups. Each access point advertises only the enabled WLANs that belong to its access point group.

I think it is important to note the fact that if you have WLAN Override already configured on AP's and upgrade to 5.2 from a previous version, that it will delete that config and broadcast all WLANs.

Alternatively, does anyone know if you have AP groups configured pre 5.2.157 and you upgrade to 2.157 - does it retain the config? I'm assuming so and will use this migration path to bring my controllers up to 5.2 once ready. We are heavy users of wlan override in one particular location.

Near as I can tell, the bug occurs when initial setup of these is done in WCS after the upgrade to 5.2. AP Groups already defined and/or created directly on the WLC/WiSM are AOK.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: