Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 QoS - bandwidth allocation ratios

e-chuah
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If i have a line card that has the queue structure 1P2Q2T and i enable QoS, the default bandwidth allocation ratios Q1:Q2 is 5:255 according to CCO documentation.

Does this means that if the port is 1000Mbps, Q1 will will get a bandwidth of approximately 20Mbps, Q2 approximately 980Mbps? If all of my traffic has dscp=0 and place in Q1, does that mean that the max throughput i can get is 20Mbps, any excess traffic will be dropped even if there is no traffic in Q2?

Thanks

Eng Wee

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eng

A 1P2Q2T card will use WRR (Weighted Round Robin). WRR allows a queue to use moe than it's allocated bandwidth if the other queues are not using this bandwidth.

Note that the other queuing algorithms ie. SRR, DWRR do not behave in the same way. See this link for more details -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/qos.html#wp1728810

Jon

Hi Jon,

thanks for the reply. THe URL does answer my question on WRR.

If i have a 1p7q8t that uses DWRR, the default bandwidth allocation is 22:33:45:0:0:0:0, what is the net effect? The description in the URL on DWRR does not really explain what is the net effect like what it did for SRR and WRR?

Thanks

Eng Wee

Eng

My understanding is that DWRR uses the same algorithm as WRR with the difference being that DWRR keeps track of any deficit from any queues each time through. It then tries to compensate for the deficit the next time through.

However it is a modification to WRR and therefore as far as i know if a queue has unused bandwidth then it can be used by another queue.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card