cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared Servers

PETROBRASEISA
Level 1
Level 1

How can I assign a single switchport (ie on a Catalyst series switch) on multiple VLAN's. The purpose is to share resources, like servers or printers.

7 Replies 7

fred.mancen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

if your server/printer does support 802.1Q (trunking), you just need to configure the interfaces as a trunk port.

Regards.

Hi Thank you for the answer, but they don't support 802.1q. In fact, i need to know if the IOS has something like the PVID on Baystack switches...

Hi.

I don't think so...IOS supports the native VLAN feature, that is the PVID, but just on trunk settings.

I understand what you want, the 3Com switches also have this feature, that is called "hybrid port", supporting the untagged native VLAN and a second tagged VLAN, as the Baystack.

Regards.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to share resources can you not just set up inter-vlan routing on your cisco switch and route from client vlans to vlans with printers/servers ?

What is the make of Cisco switch ?

Jon

But, to do this do I have to use a router anyway?

They are Catalyst 2950C-24 and Catalyst 2924M-XL-EN.

Yes you do. I just wanted to check that the switch you had was not L3 capable.

Jon

What Jon wants to say is that is more easy to share resources that are on different VLANs using inter VLAN routing instead the way you asked. Example: if you want to share a printer that is on VLAN 10 (subnet 10.10.x.x) and the clients are on VLAN 20 (subnet 10.20.x.x), so you need to use a layer 3 device (a router or a multilayer switch as a 3500 series > up) to do it. Networks directly connected (VLANs) are automatically routed, because the printer and the clients are in different broadcast domains. As I can see, you are typing from Brazil, right? If you need help further, send me an e-mail: fred.mancen@brayner.com.br. I'm from Rio de Janeiro also...

Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco