Replies

standard image vs crytographic image (license?) and snmpv3

murray-davis
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of Cisco 2950s with the standard IOS image as follows:

C2950 EI AND SI IOS IMAGE

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4.bin

I am looking at implementing snmp logging possibly using snmpv3. The docs says that the cryptographic software image is needed. When I go to the download site, the following image is listed:

C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO IMAGE

c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA4.bin

Do I need to buy a license from Cisco in order to install/deploy this image?

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't believe you need a license change for that . This is just the version you need to be able to run secure processes like ssh etc.. You would need it if you were changing actual feature sets like in a router or a l2/3 switch. The 2950's will only runn the code thats actually intended for the model you have so it wouldn't seem like its a feature issue . I'm sure one of the cisco guys will chime in if I'm wrong.

adkumar_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I guess licencing is required if we are upgrading Featureset in a Commercial Environment. eg from IP BASE to IP SERVICES or ENTERPRISE SERVICES.

Crypto images are not alloved in some Countries as per their law, So that can Pose a Problem, just in case..

Every Organisation has a Accounts manager assigned by Cisco. Better contact your Accounts manager

So, here is a snip from one switch. Since, I am in Canada, the restriction on crytpo images does not apply. We also do not have a Cisco accounts manager, we buy direct from our ISP. So, I will just take a non-production switch and try to put the crypto image on it and see what happens.

nbrelsw3#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4.bin"

Running Enhanced Image

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card