Replies

standard image vs crytographic image (license?) and snmpv3

murray-davis
Level 1
Level 1

I have a number of Cisco 2950s with the standard IOS image as follows:

C2950 EI AND SI IOS IMAGE

c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4.bin

I am looking at implementing snmp logging possibly using snmpv3. The docs says that the cryptographic software image is needed. When I go to the download site, the following image is listed:

C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO IMAGE

c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA4.bin

Do I need to buy a license from Cisco in order to install/deploy this image?

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't believe you need a license change for that . This is just the version you need to be able to run secure processes like ssh etc.. You would need it if you were changing actual feature sets like in a router or a l2/3 switch. The 2950's will only runn the code thats actually intended for the model you have so it wouldn't seem like its a feature issue . I'm sure one of the cisco guys will chime in if I'm wrong.

adkumar_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I guess licencing is required if we are upgrading Featureset in a Commercial Environment. eg from IP BASE to IP SERVICES or ENTERPRISE SERVICES.

Crypto images are not alloved in some Countries as per their law, So that can Pose a Problem, just in case..

Every Organisation has a Accounts manager assigned by Cisco. Better contact your Accounts manager

So, here is a snip from one switch. Since, I am in Canada, the restriction on crytpo images does not apply. We also do not have a Cisco accounts manager, we buy direct from our ISP. So, I will just take a non-production switch and try to put the crypto image on it and see what happens.

nbrelsw3#sh ver

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(22)EA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

System image file is "flash:/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA4.bin"

Running Enhanced Image

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card