cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

routing between ethernet interfaces on 1841

p-blake
Level 1
Level 1

I am having difficulty with a configuration on an 1841 router. I am just trying to connect the 2 ethernet interfaces to different IP networks and route between them. When I apply the attached config I am able to ping devices on each network, from the router. I am able to ping each interface on the router, from the router. I am able to ping the local router interface from a device on each local network. I am UNABLE to ping from one device to the other across the router.

I don't think I should need to have static routes to the other networks if they are directly connected. What am I missing?

Thanks..

6 Replies 6

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Paul,

Check the default routes on the hosts that you are trying to ping.

Regards,

Arul

*Pls rate if it helps*

The gateway addresses on the hosts that are located on either side of the router are pointing at the respective ip addresses of each ethernet interface.

ehsancisco
Level 1
Level 1

Dear P-blake

I read your configuration,I think you have to delete your :

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/1

the router will do ip routing between their interfaces by default.

SO let the clients on each side point to their related interface as default gateway.

please Rate if helps.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your configuration looks good and I don't see anything I can recommend adding/removing in the router side.

Do not remove the default route as suggested in the thread as this will break your connection to the outside world.

I suspect the problem is on the client side. Have you checked for firewall or try pinging other host(s) located at either end.

Can you ping from any device to host(s) located in subnets other than the ones attached to the router, for instance - the internet?

__

Edison.

umm

edison as the questioner asks,his prob was about connecting two netwokr together and it was nothing about internet.

Regards

p-blake
Level 1
Level 1

The PC's that I am using to test connectivity across the routers ethernet interfaces both work fine outside of this test environment and have the correct IP/mask/gateway information. They can each be pinged on the production environment without loss of packet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card