cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

building home voip lab, looking for suggetsions/feedback

ryancolson
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at building a small home voice lab, possibly to use to help with the CCNAV/CCVP. Here is what I am looking at getting/ordered.

1 1760 router, dropping in a dsp and a 2 fxo vic

1 7941

what I already have:

internal network with an asa 5505 sec plus, a 3550 12 gig port core layer 3 switch, a 1721 acting as a dmvpn server(1 peer currently), call manager 6 installed in vmware, and several PoE 3550s. I am planning on getting a single regular phone line with caller ID, and setting up an IP phone here, as well as at the other end of my vpn, and maybe adding a couple VPN peers with them having voip phones as well. Is there anything major I am missing or gotchas I should be aware of? Will the caller ID pass through? Does the 1760 need to register with the call manager server?

1 Reply 1

pkavanag
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ryan, re CLID and registration, this really depends on how you are linking the 1760 to CUCM.

Unless I've totally misunderstood your setup I think that you could configure the 1760 in CUCM as a H.323 gateway, MGCP gateway, SIP-trunk, or even SCCP for transcoding etc.

If you want calls to come in from PSTN into the FXO and the ring on your 7941 then the easiest way, IMHO, is to use MGCP - that way all the complicated stuff is taken care of by CUCM. If you want to use H.323 or SIP-T then you'll need to get involved with dial-peer configuration on the 1760.

Pete.