cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

pls help?

vinothlb1
Level 1
Level 1

In my existing n/w l3 switch connected to router through 4 l2 switches(i.e. in between router and l3 switch 4 l2 switches avilable). i m totally having 30 l2 switches which is connected to l3 switches.whether it is advisable to connect to l3 switch directly connected to router. if it is , what is the advantages of connecting l3 switch directly to router.

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The advantage of having your L3 switch directly connected to the router, it avoids L2 switch processing latency (generally very minimal) and L2 switch congestion issues, both latency and drops. The latter can be significant, or not. I.e., without knowing much more about your topology and hosts, 4 L2 switches between your L3 switch and router, might not be an issue, or could be a major issue (as could one L2 switch between your L3 switch and router).

PS:

If the router in question connects to WAN, often the WAN link is more of a concern than LAN L2 topologoy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card