Unanswered Question
Dec 1st, 2008

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get an update for deploying and understanding Cisco CallManager (CCM)/Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CUCM) with Cisco expert Jaime Valencia. Jaime is a PDI escalation engineer at Cisco specializing in the Cisco unified communications portfolio of solutions. As part of the planning, design and implementation (PDI) escalation team, he provides help to Cisco partners who hold a Cisco unified communications specialization before their systems go live. Previously he was a support engineer in the Cisco technical assistance center. He holds CCNA and CCVP certifications.

Remember to use the rating system to let Jaime know if you have received an adequate response.

Jaime might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through December 12, 2008. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.8 (9 ratings)
jbarcena Mon, 12/01/2008 - 07:31

Y dónde quedo el experto? jajaja congrats mi buen javalenc.

Jaime Valencia Mon, 12/01/2008 - 08:34

haha, el experto recien llego al trabajo por el trafico. saludos

ok, putting aside the congratulation from my friend and old peer jbarcena first of all i would like to thank all guys at the NetPro community who have helped me since i started on this a little more than a year ago ( you're just to many to mention you all =) ), also at the staff at NetPro for giving me this great opportunity.

so, guys, start asking anytime you want =)

iptuser55 Mon, 12/01/2008 - 08:42

DNA and Extension Mobility

DNA question- Previously when I used DNA with an Extension Mobility (EM) user I used the Phone option under Analysis allowing the DNA to provide correct response based upon the Users Line CSS and the device CSS however with 6.x it seems all EM users do not show up this way even If I do a search. The only way is to use the Analyser only but this dose combined both the Line./ Device CSS to give the correct output, you can only enter a single CSS- Is this a bug DNA worked correctly at 3,4,5 . It seems it will only locate DN`s which are physically associated to a device

Jaime Valencia Mon, 12/01/2008 - 09:34

funny, it has been a while since i fooled around with DNA (usually i review a CUCM trace) but i just went to a CUCM 6.1(2) server and tried it by myself.

i created a DP and assigned it DN 8765.

i cannot find the EM DP device name, i cannot find the DN if i type it in... but if i click on the last drop-down box where you see DNs currently configured i do see 8765!! (along with some other DNs not assigned to phones which also do not get results if i search for)

looking for bugs i cannot find any that matches this behavior, just an internal bug on enhancements for DNA but none of them has anything to do with EM.

best answer i can give is that they for some unknown reason stripped this functionality from the tool, which was a good thing to have to try the routing in complex scenarios.

guess the only WA would be to modify the device/line CSS from a phone and use it for testing.

if this helps, please rate

iptuser55 Mon, 12/01/2008 - 10:10

It is the same when you use Device>>>Phone again it does not show up any EM extensions, you have to use the new drop down option - "Actively logged in device" report. Again this creates problems if you want to check if anyone is logged into a device before you maybe reset, delete it

Jaime Valencia Mon, 12/01/2008 - 10:28

indeed, actually there are a lot of guys out there that still don't know the EM report is in the drop-down menu since there were some changes introduced to the GUI.

unfortunately the BU made this changes thinking they would enhance the interface but for many users it just made it more complicated

VPMaharaj Mon, 12/01/2008 - 17:19

Hi Jaime,

We have got a 4.2(1) SR1b PUB and SUB cluster at the moment and as part of a 6.1.2 upgrade project we are planning to migrate the data to a fresh 6.1.2 UCM server via DMA and also to preload the phones with the proper loads so that they are compatible once the 6.1.2 is up. Unfortunately there is no DMA tool that is compatible with 4.2.1 thus we are required to upgrade our production cluster to 4.2.3 first and have an appropriate device pack that is compatible with both 4.2.3 and 6.1.2. The following ucm software compatibility matrix listed at the link below however has confused me since I cannot see any upgrade path from 4.2.1 to 4.2.3. In a nutshell can I directly upgrade my CM 4.2.1 sr1b to CM 4.2.3?

Jaime Valencia Mon, 12/01/2008 - 20:08

ah, it's been a while since someone asked me that. there was a lot of confusion on that since the first DMA releases could be installed on 4.1(2) and 4.2(1) (and it wasn't supposed to be, a bug was filed for this) since the upgrade path was meant to be from the highest release on each train, meaning 4.1(3) and 4.2(3). new DMA releases do check the right version is installed but somehow they forgot to update the upgrade tables for all guys out there running 4.1(2) and 4.2(1) because it does seem like you're unable to do anything with your server, but you can upgrade from those releases to the highest release on each train.

VPMaharaj Mon, 12/01/2008 - 20:27

Thanks a lot Jaime for your excellent answer. We will therefore proceed with the upgrade from 4.2.1 sr1b to 4.2.3. Hopefully Cisco can update the tables as it will save us a lot of preparatory time.

Kevin Tue, 01/12/2010 - 16:27

I actually have a question concerning the call pick-up group feature in cucm. Lets say we have setup a call pickup group, and this group contains 4 members. If member A and B phone starts to ring at the same time, and member C enters the whatever pickup prefix; which member called would be answered? Member A or Member B.

SHAIHAN JAFFREY Mon, 12/01/2008 - 22:36

I have cucm6 deployed in my office.When an external call comes to the operator the operater transfers the call to the concern person by pressing the transfer key twice. Now the phone rings but the external caller gets no music nor any tone that indicates the final called number is not picking up the phone.

Kindly suggest how to resolve this issue.

Jaime Valencia Tue, 12/02/2008 - 04:10

for the MOH check the MRGL from GW has a MOH server and a valid MOH source, i cannot provide any other comments since your description is too general. version, exact call flow, GW protocol, etc

z.zdravkov Tue, 12/02/2008 - 01:51

I have a VPN environment that only passes MGCP version 1 RFC 3435. How can I setup Communication Manager 6.1 and Cisco 2811 router with VIC2-2BRI-NT/TE to use protocol MGCP v.1 RFC 3435. The default is version 0.1 wich is blocked by our firewalls.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Zdravko Zdravkov

Jaime Valencia Tue, 12/02/2008 - 04:02

unfortunately we only support MGCP 0.1, so you cannot use MGCP 1.0 if you plan to use CCM as the call agent.

you'll have to modify your firewalls

z.zdravkov Tue, 12/02/2008 - 04:28

Thank you very much for your fast reply. I hope that in the future this interoperability will be supported.

Best Regards,

tpatten Tue, 12/02/2008 - 14:53

Jaime, We are using CM 4.2(3) and trying to get the CDR to report correctly. We are currently getting call detail reports for analog phone extensions connecting through the MGCP VG's, but our IP Phones (7941, 61's, etc) are not reporting any calls to the database for reports. We are sure this is a very simple setting, but can't find any info. Hope you can help.

Jaime Valencia Tue, 12/02/2008 - 17:29

first thing i always think of when someone tells me that is that the CDR enabled flag is not set to true on all servers

Cause 2

it is not clusterwide, its PER SERVER. most people fail to follow the instructions.

2 Select the Cisco CallManager service for ---->each server<---- in the cluster.

3 Scroll down to CDR Enabled Flag under the System section. Set the value of this parameter to True.

also check the device is associated to a user, another common mistake

victor.wongcw Thu, 12/04/2008 - 00:27

I want to ask that can the current CUCM 7.0 version support “click-to-dial” function on Lotus Notes?

Jaime Valencia Thu, 12/04/2008 - 07:34

there is a click-to-call plug-in for Sametime 7.5.1 can be used to do click-to-call from Notes. it's a server-side integration between the Sametime server and CUCM

This is not really something native to Cisco but to Notes/Sametime so support comes from IBM. Thus Cisco does not officially supports this.

Marwan ALshawi Thu, 12/11/2008 - 02:46

hi java

i want to ask about an issue i have face with CCM 4.1 and cisco gateway with srst enabled

the remote ofice has its gateway, device pool, regon g711 local with other regons g729 except with MOH regon which use g711 as well

the prolem was the remote router configured as multicast MOH rource for that site

but the problem with the customer was the MOH was working locally !! any call from PSTN cant hear MOH.. howver when the XCODing invoked it works normally

even in the show ccm-manger music-on-hold

the codec shown as g729 while it should be all the way as g711

and without transcoding no moh with pstn?

Jaime Valencia Thu, 12/11/2008 - 08:31

OK, i'm not sure what you mean because multicast does not use XCODING, that would be using unicast.

Marwan ALshawi Fri, 12/12/2008 - 02:22

fortunatly it solved but was a stacking one

by the way

if i want in CCM busnise adition

creat a hunt group and for that hunt gorup i wanna create a shred voice mail in unity connection

is best way to creat voicemail with extention forexample 1500

and on the hunt group with hunt number 1500 is there and otion to let me forward the unanswer call to voice mail?

and wil unity will understand it as from 1500?

and for members to let them hear to voice mail i need to add them to altenate number?

thanks in advance

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/12/2008 - 04:09

you can create a call routing rule for DN 1500, and then use a call handler with a PDL as message recipient

it won't recognize the DN without being configured.

if you already have them a VM box assigned you cannot use them as alternate numbers

karthiksr Fri, 12/12/2008 - 02:30

Hi All

We have an issue with the Non gatekeeper controlled intercluster trunks. we have 2 clusters A and B. The issue we face is the problem of DID call not happening from A to B. We check the response of B's call manager and the Ping response of the voice gateway router. Both are ok. But still the problem persists...

Pl suggest your solution on this issue.

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/12/2008 - 04:07

with just that info it definitely sounds like a config issue, check the whole routing you have for those DID calls, translation patterns, route patterns, CSS, etc. without further details i cannot provide more detailed help. all you say is calls are not happening, not the exact behavior nor call flow you have

kumar3880 Thu, 12/04/2008 - 22:50

We have CUCM 6.1(2) version with two nodes in it clustered over the WAN.Initially there was a link issue between these two sites and so we received SDLLinkOOS error

But even after the link is been restored, we have been receiving the same errors.

Is there any duration maintained to which both these servers try to communicate with each other and stop these errors

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/05/2008 - 08:58

those errors are also observed in any windows version. the SDL link is the one that takes care of sending and receiving information between the servers (device state in other server, in case devices are in different servers handle this communication, etc)

this SDL layer needs to be synched.

the only workaround to make this happen is a cluster reboot.

in your case it's pretty simple, PUB, wait until it fully comes up, then SUB. if more servers involved you would need to go to system -> communications manager or callmanager (depends on version) -> click on each server and note the Node ID and restart them in the order specified by the Node ID.

schedule a maintenance windows and perform the cluster reboot to take care of that.

ayan_das_tulip Fri, 12/05/2008 - 01:15

I have a CCM 5.1 running in my Network which and several Ip phones. There are 17 stations which has LG Aria exchange connecting analogue phones. These analogue phones communicate with each other via connecting to E1/PRI card on CISCO 7206 router. My question is how to communicate these analoue phones with IP phones. I also have a Gatekeeper which is CISCO 2821 with VWIC-2MFT-E1. I am suppose use tihs to inter communicate IP phone and analogue phones. Can u please help me how todo it.

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/05/2008 - 09:09

the topology is not clear on how and where you have this. the analog interfaces that we support on ISRs are FXOs and FXSs. we also provide ATAs and VG224/VG248.

you can use H323 or MGCP if the phones are already connected to a Cisco ISR to handle the calls.

i cannot provide anything else without more accurate info

richb1971 Fri, 12/05/2008 - 01:27

Hi Jaime,

I've got CCM5.1 with IPMA (proxy) and the Assistants phone is not updating the Manager Status when he is back on-hook. Can you help?

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/05/2008 - 09:00

first thing i would advise to double check is the configuration as this most of the times is related to this. look at the guide and make sure all the steps have been followed.

also try restarting the RIS service which handles the phone status.

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/05/2008 - 09:05

this has been asked quite some few times around, instead of repeating this over and over please look at this thread which contains the procedure for achieving this.

IP Telephony: Hunt pilot vs. alerting name

The concept is really basic, configure a CTI RP with the name, and CFA to the HP.

for all guys out there looking for this i'd recommend to reach your AMs and see if you can submit a PER since it seems this is a popular feature that's not implemented natively.

bigcappa1 Fri, 12/05/2008 - 06:15

I am in the next month or so about to upgrade from 5.1.3 to 6.1.2. I know I need the PUT and can install the 6.1.2 version on the inactive partition. When I flick the partitions over I then have to install the locale packages. My question is what about the dialplan, as normally when you want to install a new dial plan you have to remove it from translations and route patterns, or does the 6.1.2 take the dialplan from the 5 version. I am in the UK and the cluster is 3 servers so what to make sure I have this right before starting.

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/05/2008 - 09:22

no, the same applies. you take it out and then install the new one:

Release Date: 19/Jun/2008

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Signed Dial Plan 6.X for United Kingdom

Size: 200.40 KB (205208 bytes)

Yagami_Light Fri, 12/05/2008 - 09:41

Trouble with fax transferring

CCM v 4.2

fax machine:

Panasonic KX-FT932 - 5001

HP Laser Jet M2727nf (MFU) - 5002

they both are in the same partition, CSS (corporate,city), are registered to CCM with ATA

First case:

fax (5001) is ringing 555-55-55 (DISA number), then I dial 5002 (call is done threw city line).. all is ok, fax is received.

Second case:

5001 -> cisco ip phone -> 5002 fax isn't received

Third case: fax from outside -> cisco ip phone -> 5002... fax isn't received

P.S. it doesn't matter from witch fax to send and to receive.. the result is the same..

thanks for help

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/05/2008 - 10:16

that is more complex issue that requires troubleshooting with CUCM traces and debugs to determine the capabilities being negotiated are set to FAX. i limit my involvement in NetPro to not go that far as that is what TAC is for. I got my own job at PDI escalation on which i dedicate full time to that, the time i spend at NetPro is limited.

you would need to enable CUCM detailed traces to confirm that when the call is transferred from one phone to Fax machine, look at the openreceivechannel to look at what capabilites are set. on the GW to look at the MDCX to confirm the connection is established to fax.

you're free to upload the information but i cannot provide any timeframe for getting back at you, since as i already mentioned, the time i dedicate to this is limited and dependant on my PDI escalation job.

gbonton Fri, 12/05/2008 - 12:52

I need to apply a patch to CCM 4.3.2. I looking for the patch 4.3.2 ES4. I do not see it in the softwae download area or am not finding any instructions on how to apply this patch. Can yu help?

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/05/2008 - 13:03

the latest SR available is this one:

Release Date: 29/Sep/2008

Cisco Unified CallManager 4.3(2)SR1b

Size: 216982.99 KB (222190578 bytes)

ES for windows versions are not commonly posted so you need to reach TAC so they can post the file for you.

The install procedure is the same as with any other patch, install to PUB, reboot, install to SUBs, reboot (one at a time)

gbonton Fri, 12/05/2008 - 13:40

Thank you. I am looking for the fix for AXL errors. In the bugfix tool it mentions that

the issue was resolved in the 4.3.2 ES4 patch. So I am assuming that youj are saying that this patch will be included in the SR1b release.

Thanks for the information and replying so quickly.

Jaime Valencia Fri, 12/05/2008 - 14:01

no, it's not included. Always read the README file. it's not always there just because.

Version and Description

This Service Release is a cumulative update that incorporates all of the fixes and changes from Cisco Unified CallManager 4.3(2)ES03, along with additional changes that are specific to this Service Release.

Note: If you are running Cisco Unified CallManager 4.3(2)ES04 or higher, you must uninstall the Engineering Special (ES) before you can install this Service Release. (You may lose fixes that were added in ES04 and above.)

contact TAC so they can publish the file for you

Hi Jaime,

Not sure if you can help on the UCCX stuff, but have a question about setting call priority for queued calls.

In this scenario I have several Arrival Types from Call Contact Info that are set e.g. Direct, Call Forward All. If the call is CFA I want to set the call priority to that higher than a direct call using the "Set Priority" under IPCC Express menu (thus should be answered first when agent becomes available).

However, this doesn't seem to have the desired effect.

Do you have any ideas?

I'm quite new to UCCX script editing

Jaime Valencia Mon, 12/08/2008 - 08:58

i'm really sorry but the conversation topic is CUCM/CCM, UCCX is a whole world by itself to which i'm not really familiar

davetucker Mon, 12/08/2008 - 12:52

One of my clients is currently migrating to CUCM from a TDM system. They are using a feature called Emergency Phone

In a nutshell a call is made to a DN and answered. Up to four subsequent calls to the same DN are automatically joined into a conference.

Is there a way to accomplish this in CUCM 6.x (without any user intervention)?

Jaime Valencia Mon, 12/08/2008 - 13:19

OK, so if i understand correctly this would be something like dialing a conference bridge and then the conference bridge dialing to the other users??

because something like that is not provided in CUCM, we do provide conferencing but in order to conference someone a user needs to do that (adhoc or meetme). MPE can dial to users but it's not really the purpose of the product.

what you mention is similar to meet me on which you initiate the conference bridge being the 1st user and then users dial the dn and join the conference, not sure if that will do for you.

wagner.coelho Mon, 12/08/2008 - 20:59

Hi Jaime,

I have a planning/design question related to SRST.

We plan to have a centralized CUCM 6.1 cluster and as part of the failover process we will provide SRST to the remote sites. However, I'm trying to understand how does SRST works in the following scenarios:

Scenario: If I have a Cisco 2821 with 128/256 mem and 120 users in the site. The SRST would support 50 phones and 192 extensions, however how does it works if I have 120 users in the site? Is this simultaneous users?

Could you please help to understand whether SRST support simultaneous users or that number would be the total amount of registered users.

Best regards,

Wagner Coelho

Jaime Valencia Tue, 12/09/2008 - 07:08

each platform supports X amount of max users, that means X users each with up to Y DNs.

that means you need to have only 50 users configured in CUCM with SRST reference. if you try to have 120 users with SRST more than half won't be able to register.

also if you go above the numbers we won't provide support.

kumar3880 Tue, 12/09/2008 - 03:24

We have two CUCM 6.1(2) servers clustered over the WAN.

Among the ip phones in site A (which has the first node),i am not able to call within few extensions as it gives me a busy tone[with a busy note displayed in the screen,even though the ip phone is free.]

But i am not able to find these problems in the site B which has the subsequent node.

Can you please help me out in this regard as from where do i have to start my steps of troubleshooting

Jaime Valencia Tue, 12/09/2008 - 07:11

first thing to do is review the DB replication, then to review the dialing plan and finally if no avail a CUCM detailed trace in order to find out what DA CUCM is doing

This Discussion