Need to increase bandwidth between 2 6500 Chassis

Unanswered Question
Dec 1st, 2008

Currently I have 2 Gigabit connections between my 2 6509 switches that are at the core. One is forwarding, the other is blocking. The primary forwarding one is beginning to average around 45% to 55% utilization. I need to start to balance this load, I was considering configuring etherchannel, PAgP, or LACP, which is my best option in this situation.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
david-flores Mon, 12/01/2008 - 10:18

Thanks for the link, so is one method preferred over the other in this situation?

Mark Yeates Mon, 12/01/2008 - 10:22

I would not say that one should be preferred over the other. When I have customers that have mixed vendor equipment networks I will usually suggest LACP because it is an IEEE standard and can be used across many vendors. Just to keep things simple I will use LACP across the network. Both PAgP and LACP are very similar feature wise.

HTH,

Mark

Joseph W. Doherty Mon, 12/01/2008 - 11:59

BTW:

Don't forget, if you enable a Etherchannel, you might need to change the hash algorithm to obtain the best usage of multiple links for your topology.

david-flores Mon, 12/01/2008 - 14:07

What exactly does that mean, is that mentioned in the above posted link?

Jon Marshall Mon, 12/01/2008 - 14:12

David

It's all to do with how the switch uses all links to transmit the traffic. The 6500 switches can use src/dst mac-address, src/dst IP address, src/dst port so you have the full set of options.

The same src and dst will always use the same link so you need to choose which one ie. mac-addresss, IP address, ports that would give you the most variation and hence use the most links -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

Jon

Actions

This Discussion