cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to increase bandwidth between 2 6500 Chassis

david-flores
Level 1
Level 1

Currently I have 2 Gigabit connections between my 2 6509 switches that are at the core. One is forwarding, the other is blocking. The primary forwarding one is beginning to average around 45% to 55% utilization. I need to start to balance this load, I was considering configuring etherchannel, PAgP, or LACP, which is my best option in this situation.

6 Replies 6

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

David,

Etherchannel sounds like it will definitely be the right solution for you. Since you are going to use Cisco products you could go either way using LACP or PAgP, and still load balance. Here is a configuration guide to help you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.1E/native/configuration/guide/channel.html

HTH,

Mark

Thanks for the link, so is one method preferred over the other in this situation?

I would not say that one should be preferred over the other. When I have customers that have mixed vendor equipment networks I will usually suggest LACP because it is an IEEE standard and can be used across many vendors. Just to keep things simple I will use LACP across the network. Both PAgP and LACP are very similar feature wise.

HTH,

Mark

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW:

Don't forget, if you enable a Etherchannel, you might need to change the hash algorithm to obtain the best usage of multiple links for your topology.

What exactly does that mean, is that mentioned in the above posted link?

David

It's all to do with how the switch uses all links to transmit the traffic. The 6500 switches can use src/dst mac-address, src/dst IP address, src/dst port so you have the full set of options.

The same src and dst will always use the same link so you need to choose which one ie. mac-addresss, IP address, ports that would give you the most variation and hence use the most links -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094714.shtml

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card