cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are these two "ip nat" statements equivalent

thomasdzubin
Level 1
Level 1

I manage a bunch of routers... on some, the outside-to-inside port address translation statements are set up like this:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.10.69 25 24.56.67.89 25 extendable

(24.56.67.89 is my outside public IP assigned to FastE4)

while other routers are set up like this:

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.10.69 25 interface FastEthernet4 25

Both ways work fine, although I prefer the latter way in case FastEthernet4's IP address changes. Are there any real significant difference or are they really just the same?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thomas

Not aware of any significant difference. They achieve the same thing.

Jon

View solution in original post

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Yes !!

1.You are right , it is used in case IP Address of NAT interface change , you don't have to change that address in NAT statement

2.Other important thing is , in case you are using DHCP to acquire IP address for Fastethernet interface ( i.e you are making your router as DHCP client) , then also your later method comes handy , as again you don't have to worry about the IP address , DHCP server will allocate "interface" keyword will take care of everything.

HTH...rate if helpful..

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thomas

Not aware of any significant difference. They achieve the same thing.

Jon

satish_zanjurne
Level 4
Level 4

Yes !!

1.You are right , it is used in case IP Address of NAT interface change , you don't have to change that address in NAT statement

2.Other important thing is , in case you are using DHCP to acquire IP address for Fastethernet interface ( i.e you are making your router as DHCP client) , then also your later method comes handy , as again you don't have to worry about the IP address , DHCP server will allocate "interface" keyword will take care of everything.

HTH...rate if helpful..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card