Helpful
Replies

Port-channel / Trunking / VSAN

Mike_Lowrey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a quick question...

I enabled trunking for all vsans and created a port-channel. I want to use this port-channel for all my vsans.

Does it matter in which vsan I add my port-channel?

If it doesn't matter why can I assign a port-channel to a vsan?

Cheers,

Mike

3 Replies 3

Nikhil Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mike,

It should be the same configuration on both sides for the port-channel to come up. The reason why you can assign a port-channel to a VSAN is that if you are using an E port then it depends on the matching port-channel VSAN to come up.

TE Port functionality is specific to MDS for enhanced ISL capabilities. E ports can be used for non-cisco switches to make the trunk work seamlessly as an E port.

You can refer to the following for more info:

http://www/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/configuration/guides/cli_3_4_x/trnk.html

http://www/en/US/docs/storage/san_switches/mds9000/sw/rel_3_x/configuration/guides/cli_3_4_x/pc.html

Hope this helps.

- Nikhil

Michael Brown
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are 2 schools of thought on this.

One: leave the port-channel in the default vsan number 1. If you have devices also in VSAN 1, you may want to the next option.

Two: create a unique VSAN that only contains the port-channels and TE ports. This VSAN should have no end devices in it.

There really is no technical difference. Some folks like the management aspect of keeping the port-channels and TE ports in separate VSANs so that you can view all the ISL ports by looking at a specific VSAN.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Hi,

thanks for the helpful answers.

I have chosen option number 2.

cheers,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: