Views
Helpful
Replies

Call over WAN to Shanghai

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Folks,

I have 300ms delay when I ping from Montreal to Shanghai. Does it mean that I am not going to be able to send calls over the WAN with an acceptable quality? Is this only because of the distance or I don't have the right exquipments? Is there any solution to reduce the delay?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I don't think there is anything wrong with your equipment, there is nothing that you can do to reduce delay even if you have a direct fiber connection to Shanghai. That's just how fast light can travel across the world. What type of WAN link do you have to Shanghai ?

I think you'll be fine just make sure that QoS is configured correctly and enabled on both your WAN router as well as your WAN provider.

I have a link to India and a link to Beijing and my average round trip delay is between 290-300 ms and I am sending both voice and video across the WAN and all is working fine so far.

Hope that helps !

Danny

Thanks Danny,

The WAN link is a T1. I am glad to hear that yours is working fine. Could you please post your QOS config or send it to me using the follwoing email address?

runbigtime@yahoo.com

Thanks,

MK