Views
Helpful
Replies

Call over WAN to Shanghai

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Folks,

I have 300ms delay when I ping from Montreal to Shanghai. Does it mean that I am not going to be able to send calls over the WAN with an acceptable quality? Is this only because of the distance or I don't have the right exquipments? Is there any solution to reduce the delay?

Thanks,

2 Replies 2

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I don't think there is anything wrong with your equipment, there is nothing that you can do to reduce delay even if you have a direct fiber connection to Shanghai. That's just how fast light can travel across the world. What type of WAN link do you have to Shanghai ?

I think you'll be fine just make sure that QoS is configured correctly and enabled on both your WAN router as well as your WAN provider.

I have a link to India and a link to Beijing and my average round trip delay is between 290-300 ms and I am sending both voice and video across the WAN and all is working fine so far.

Hope that helps !

Danny

Thanks Danny,

The WAN link is a T1. I am glad to hear that yours is working fine. Could you please post your QOS config or send it to me using the follwoing email address?

runbigtime@yahoo.com

Thanks,

MK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: