Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Code Licensing

Jasonch518_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I recently purchased a Cisco 1841 router without any special code, so it comes with IPBase.

This image does not support BGP.

The 12.4 IPBase T code supports BGP, but I am unsure of how the licensing works on Cisco IOS, and if it is an upgraded feature set that I need to pay for, or if it is freely available since it is only IPBase, not enterprise base, or advanced IP services etc.

Any information on how exactly Cisco issues Licenses for code would be helpful, mainly in regards to IPBase and going from the default code on a new 1841 to T code, but still IPBase.

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

There are 2 important aspects of IOS that pertain to your question: version and feature set. The version is (pretty obviously) 12.3, or 12.4, or 12.4T, etc. The feature set is IP BASE, or Enterprise, or Advanced IP Services, etc.

If your router is covered under a valid SmartNet contract then you are entitled to version upgrades (from 12.4 to 12.4T for example). It is in changing feature sets (from IP BASE to Advanced IP Services, for example) where additional license fees are required.

So you should be able to go from 12.4 IP BASE to 12.4T IP BASE without extra charge (assuming that you are covered by a valid SmartNet contract).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick.

Thanks for the response.

I am covered under a valid smartnet contract.

Your explanation make sense.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card