Passed BGP+MPLS today

Unanswered Question
Dec 1st, 2008

Hello all,

I passed the BGP+MPLS exam today. I guess I won't be violating the Cisco confidentiality agreement if I describe my feelings after passing the test. It's like true love! :-)

My advice to future test takers is this:

1) hands-on and heads-on

2) love your study material

3) don't spend your time on cheaters (they don't spend time even for themselves, they will never spend their time for you, study your stuff instead)

The 3rd point has been extensively discussed in this forum. I come from a place where cheating is considered cool (don't ask what that place might be, it's embarrassing enough to admit even half of the truth). Nevertheless, I never tried it and I never will. Cheaters can have my job, my money, but they will never feel "the way I feel tonight (lalala)" after passing the test with no test engines whatsoever.

Last but not least, NetPro is a good place to learn things, so use it. You can learn from your mistakes, from mistakes of others, and from correct answers posted. Thank you all!

Kind Regards,

M.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
steve_steele Mon, 12/01/2008 - 21:35

Hi Marikakis,

Congratulations on passing and commendations on the excellent attitude.

I'd be interested to know which books you used for prep, I'm thinking of trying this on my way to Service Provider.

Cheers

Steve

marikakis Tue, 12/02/2008 - 02:13

Hello,

Some exams have official certification guides. BGP+MPLS has no related certification guide. Still, cisco always has a disclaimer even in certification guides about no warranty of fitness, and at the exam topics it is mentioned that similar topics may also appear at any specific delivery. That being said, I will list the books I read thoroughly and those I consulted regularly. The way I remember commands is like face recognition. I almost know how they look, so I do not read "command books". If I need something specific, I go to IOS documentation.

I read thoroughly the following:

1) Internet Routing Architectures

2) MPLS and VPN Architectures

3) MPLS Fundamentals

I consulted regularly the following for specific topics:

1) BGP Design and Implementation

2) ISP Essentials

3) MPLS and VPN architectures, volume II

4) MPLS VPN security

Since you are going for SP, I suppose you are aware of the booklist recommended for SP, as well as the written and lab exam blueprints. Each one has some specific information about e.g. the MPLS part not found in the other. This also holds true for topics published by cisco separately for the BGP, MPLS and BGP+MPLS exams. I would suggest, besides consulting the "Exam Topics" of every exam overview, to take a close look at the "Exam Description" and the content of recommended training. In any case, I suppose SP seems more demanding in its BGP+MPLS part and the only safe bet is to know absolutely every feature. However, even if we would like to read everything there is, we do not have infinite time. In such situations, I focus on the basics and concepts first. If you know the basics well, it's easier/faster to build later on them.

The combined BGP+MPLS is probably too much if you wouldn't like to end up hoping to be a little lucky the day before the exam. I believe with single exam options I could have paced my studies better and read additional resources more thoroughly.

Kind Regards,

M.

Jon Marshall Tue, 12/02/2008 - 04:04

Congratulations Maria.

I think it is obvious from your many posts that you have a very detailed knowledge of your subject matter.

Good luck with the next one.

Jon

marikakis Tue, 12/02/2008 - 04:31

Thank you Jon. I really appreciate you comments. People like you make NetPro a valuable learning tool.

Kind Regards,

Maria

Actions

This Discussion