cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

load balancing basics and question

edongskiu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i would like to inquire what commands should i look for in our router to know if we have load balancing? i am not familiar with the configuration and just about to read in cisco - basic load balancing page would be appreciated

2 Replies 2

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

The (Sh ip route x.x.x.x) should show you if there is multiple paths for a particular destination.

HTH

Mohamed

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Eduard,

generally speaking load-balancing is enabled on Cisco routers and multilayer switches but to really happen multiple static routes or dynamic routes have to be installed.

so the first step is:

sh ip route

if there are multiple equal cost paths available and used you may be interested in what link is used to foward packets of a specific flow

A useful command for this is:

show ip cef exact-route

load-balacing can be : flow based (source IP and destination IP of the packet are used to decide the outgoing path) or can be per packet.

to see what type of load-balancing is occurring you can use:

show ip interface type x/y

or show run interface type x/y

note:

Only EIGRP is able with a specific configuration to support weighted load balancing over unequal cost links

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card