cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

converting Cat OS to IOS

ud0508500
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to upgrade two WS-6509 switches ..the current image is bootflash:cat6000-sup2cvk8.8-4-2.bin

WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE and WS-F6K-MSFC2

I am looking to convert this to IOS, is there a tool that can do this or do I have to do the conversion line for line?

do I have to upgrade the ios on the MSFC as well?

appreciate the help...Thank You!

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jay

Start with this document which covers upgrading the images. With native you do not have separate images on the SUP & MSFC, one image is used for the whole switch -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008015bfa6.shtml

Here is a link to a tool that can convert from CatOS to IOS -

www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a0080816fbc.shtml

I have never used it myself and i've read a few posts on these forums about it being better to do it by hand. If you do don't forget the "interface range .. " command under IOS which allows you to apply the same config to a range of interfaces, can be a real time saver.

Jon

Great....thanks Jon..appreciate the help!

mressler
Level 1
Level 1

I have this same sup on a 7603 router, will those instructions be the same as the ones for a 6500? I would guess yes but just wanted to confirm.

Yes the same instructions hold true.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card