cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic Cos and DSCP info needed

martin.ray
Level 1
Level 1

Why have we got 2 types of services that do the same thing ( CoS and DSCP ) or have I got it wrong.

Am I right in saying that Cos is layer 2 and DSCP is Layer 3 and that is why we have to map them ???

I have been trying to find out this info but cant get a straight answer anywhere, just how to configure them ??

Please help someone, just explain each one and their role in English and mainly the difference between the two.

Thanks for any help.

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

in general u r right COS L2 and DSCP L3

marking at Layer 2 takes place in the 3-bit User Priority field called the Class of Service (CoS), which resides inside an Ethernet header. The CoS field only exists inside Ethernet frames when trunking (either 802.1Q or Inter-Switch Link [ISL]) is used. The field can be used to set eight different binary values, which the classification features of other QoS tools can use

Layer 2 switches perform QoS features based on the CoS field within the Ethernet headers without regard for the markings within the IP header

The two most popular marking fields for QoS are the IP Precedence and IP DSCP fields that were introduced in QoS tools frequently use these two fields in part because the IP packet header exists from endpoint to endpoint in a network

DSCPs use the same 3 bits as IP Precedence and combine these with the next 3 bits of the ToS byte to provide a 6-bit field for QoS marking. Thus, DSCP values range from 0 (000000) to 63 (111111). This range provides unprecedented richness in marking granularity.

DSCP values can be expressed in numeric form or by special keyword names, called per-hop behaviors (PHB). Three defined classes of DSCP PHBs exist: Best-Effort (BE or DSCP 0), Assured Forwarding (AFxy), and Expedited Forwarding (EF). In addition to these three defined PHBs, Class-Selector (CSx) codepoints have been defined to be backward compatible with IP Precedence (in other words, CS1 through CS7 are identical to IP Precedence values 1 through 7). The RFCs describing these PHBs are 2547, 2597, and 3246

hope this helpful

Thank you very much, I have been searching this info to clarify what I thought for a while but could never find what I needed on the net.

Again, thanks.

u welcome :)

please rate the helpful post..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: