Subscribers can't retrieve messages; Unity 7.0(2)

Answered Question
Dec 2nd, 2008

Got an issue that TAC and I have been struggling with for just over a day.

Running Unity 7.0(2) in an off-box Exchange 2k3 environment. Several of my users (about 21 of the 700+ subscribers) are getting a fail-safe message when they access their vm via the phone. Miss Unity's exact verbiage is "Your Messages are not available now".

Subscribers can see their messages via Outlook. And there is no problem leaving these subscribers new messages.

The one common issue for each of these subscribers is that I can't "Get User's Mailbox" in the Doh Property Tester, it gives me the following error: "Failed to get user's primary mailbox: 800401f File: E:\views\CU7.0.1.25\unDoh1\DohPropTest\MailboxStatusDlg.cpp Line 132"

Two events show up in the application log every time a user attempts to access their vm.

Source: CiscoUnity_ConvSub ID: 1394

Source: CiscoUnity_ConvSub ID: 1000

These events come in pairs.

Things I've tried:

1. Delete subscriber and re-add. Doesn't do anything.

2. Run permissions wizard.

3. Run DAD, all relevant tests, all looks good.

4. DBWalker looks clean

5. Delete user from DOH and re-import subscriber. Doesn't fix it.

6. Checked the permissions on the security tab and Exchange Advanced tabs for each of these subscribers in AD, all looks good.

Any suggestion fellow techies?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Bradford Magnani about 8 years 5 hours ago

This issue is actually with Exchange and we haven't been able to track down exactly what causes scenarios like this... but this seems to fix it. Albeit, its not ideal if your users are unified, you're kind of limited with your options. You could move it via pst like you mentioned or go through every subscriber and login via OWA. Ultimately its either a new mailbox, or trying this login fix.

Hope that helps a bit more,

Brad

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 5 (2 ratings)
Loading.
Bradford Magnani Tue, 12/02/2008 - 08:15

Craig,

Sounds like it could be something specific to these particular mailboxes. I would just for the heck of it try logging in via Outlook Web Access to one of these subscribers mailboxes from the Exchange server or any server that has access. I've seen instances where something inherent with the mailbox gets funky for some reason. This "refreshed login" has been known to fix similar problems in the past... just a thought. If that doesn't work, you may also want to test by deleting and purging the entire mailbox and recreating it and see if that also helps. Then you'll know where the problem lies.

Hope this helps,

Brad

cbelcher Tue, 12/02/2008 - 08:53

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried the OWA and it works like a champ! Whats this "refreshed login", your are refering to?

Just a note I can delete the subscriber and add a new a new subscriber (which creates a new AD account an Exchange mailbox) and it works fine. That fix works for the users that don't have existing Exchange accounts, but majority of these 21 are UM subscribers and deleting their exchange mailbox is not really an option.

I guess I could export all their mail to a pst and import it to thier new mailbox? Any other thoughts?

Correct Answer
Bradford Magnani Tue, 12/02/2008 - 09:35

This issue is actually with Exchange and we haven't been able to track down exactly what causes scenarios like this... but this seems to fix it. Albeit, its not ideal if your users are unified, you're kind of limited with your options. You could move it via pst like you mentioned or go through every subscriber and login via OWA. Ultimately its either a new mailbox, or trying this login fix.

Hope that helps a bit more,

Brad

cbelcher Tue, 12/02/2008 - 15:04

Well I tried the pst gig, and that works fine. Dam, ExMerge is slow!

Curious to see if anybody else going to Unity 7 has the same issue?

Thanks guys!

Cheers

bigcappa1 Tue, 12/16/2008 - 04:30

I have just recieved the same issue on version 5.01 with exchange 2003.

This was the error

Event Type: Error

Event Source: CiscoUnity_ConvSub

Event Category:

Event ID: 1394

Date: 2008/12/16

Time: 12:22:07

User: N/A

Computer: UnityVM

Description:

Thats it!

Is this serious?

Thanks

Paul

cbelcher Tue, 12/16/2008 - 06:27

We'll it was kind of serious for me:( I had about 21 subscribers that could not retrieve their voice mails! I guess every time that Unity experiences some sort of Conversation error it log's this event.

lbjr Wed, 05/13/2009 - 05:43

Did you ever resolve this, I am having the same issue with just a single subscriber out of 200.

cbelcher Wed, 05/13/2009 - 08:18

It never happened again. To recap what I had to do to fix it: Saved the users email/vm with Exmerge, delete the subscriber from Unity, remove their Exchange account, recreated Exchange account, Import Unity Subscriber, and then import the user’s mail/vm from the pst via Exmerge. It was definitely an Exchange issue, but like I said it hasn't happened again! Hope this helps. Cheers

lbjr Wed, 05/13/2009 - 08:41

Thanks

I will run it by TAC, before deleting the account in exchange

jasondrisc Wed, 08/26/2009 - 12:17

Hello,

I was looking into another issue and stumbled across this thread. I was curious what/if there was a resolution to this issue other then the pst export and re-create Exchange mailbox. Over the course of 5 yrs. since our first voip deployment I have now seen a handful of these cases.

Thanks,

Jason

Actions

This Discussion