cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP and Vlan 1

jgadbois
Level 1
Level 1

I have a server acting as a dhcp server connected to a 4506 core switch. I have closet switches (3750s) connected to it via fiber (trunked). I would like to give those switches ip addresses via dhcp. So I setup a dhcp reservation with the MAC address of what I think Vlan 1 is on the closet switch. I get an IP address but not the reserved one. Is there something special I need to do to get that switch to get the reserved IP address?

6 Replies 6

don-sullivan
Level 1
Level 1

Does the mac address match between what is reserved and what has been issued?

Yes. I took the mac from "sh int vlan1" and posted it in the reservation.

James

If it has handed out a different address what mac-address is associated with that IP address - does the DHCP server record this information ?

Jon

deleted

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Jon, thanks for your reply. All of the other dhcp entries show a 12 digit number which looks like mac addresses. But my switch shows a 48 digit number. At first, I thought it might be an IPV6 address but those are 128 bit addresses. If I arp the IP address that is given out, it shows the vlan1 mac that I put in the reservation.

Debug to the rescue. After Jon's note (thanks Jon) I deceided to use debug to see what was going on. It turns out that that 48 digit number is actually the client-id in hexidecimal format. The switch makes up the client-id by using the word cisco followed by the mac address and then the abbreviated interface name like VL1 or such.

And of course you can set the client-id to anything you want (almost) by using the "ip dhcp client client-id" command. When i used this with the mac of the interface everything worked although I did have to drop the leading zeros in the reservation on the server. I guess the switch really wasn't sending them. Anyway, thanks for everyones help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco