Views
Helpful
Replies

block wireless signals

alfonso.cornejo
Level 3
Level 3

Hi to all,

Is it possible that a WLC or a WCS can block the wireless signal of a network that is not the one that we have at a customer location, for example an Ad-Hoc between two computers or the wireless signal from a building that is next to mine??

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Cisco may have removed the feature due to the legal issues. I don't see it in the GUI anymore either.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080722d8c.shtml#conclusion

"Rogue detection is not bound by any regulations and no legal adherence is required for its operation. However, rogue containment usually introduces legal issues that can put the infrastructure provider in an uncomfortable position if left to operate automatically."

I never actually used it, but it was an option at one point.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dziminski
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, the WLCs support auto-containment of rogue APs (also ADHOCs). The APs will spoof deauthentication frames whenever a client tries to associate to the rogue network.

Enabling this is risky, since it can be difficult to tell what is actually a rogue network and what is a legitimate neighbor network. If you auto-contain your neighbor, you are essentially launching a denial of service attack against them.

Hi Ziminski,

I see your point, but just for knowledge can you tell me where can I configure that?? I've been looking for it on the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide 5.0 and the Cisco Wireless Control System Configuration Guide 5.0 but i can't find it.

Thanks alot!

Cisco may have removed the feature due to the legal issues. I don't see it in the GUI anymore either.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_white_paper09186a0080722d8c.shtml#conclusion

"Rogue detection is not bound by any regulations and no legal adherence is required for its operation. However, rogue containment usually introduces legal issues that can put the infrastructure provider in an uncomfortable position if left to operate automatically."

I never actually used it, but it was an option at one point.

This is no surprise. Under FCC part 15 rules, you're not allowed to deliberately interfere with anyone else's use of unlicensed radio spectrum (even if they're on your property). Jamming and autocontainment have always been questionable as far as teh regulatory side goes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card