cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BOOTLDR question!

mguzman4158
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - I noticed something that maybe someone can explain to me if this is unusual or normal. Notice that the IOS version is not the same as the BOOTLDR version even though the router has the boot system command.

------------------------

Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 25-Jan-08 05:02 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(4r)XD5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

BOOTLDR: Cisco IOS Software, 7200 Software (C7200P-KBOOT-M), Version 12.4(11)T3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

boot-start-marker

boot system flash disk2:c7200p-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T3.bin

boot-end-marker

------------------------------

so which IOS version in this router actually running?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Cheers!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

The "boot system ... " command is used to tell the router which IOS to boot if you have multiple IOS images. It is not used to tell the router which bootldr to use.

If you want to change the bootldr you need to replace your existing one but if everything is working fine i wouldn't recommend it.

Jon

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On a 7200, "dir bootflash:" should show you your boot flash contents. You should see the file for your C7200P-KBOOT-M, Version 12.4(11)T3. (Believe this is where crashfiles are normally stored on this device too.)

Ideally, when you upgrade the main IOS you can upgrade the boot IOS to the same version, although as Jon notes, there's often little need to do so.

If you did want to upgrade the boot IOS, you erase or format the bootflash as you would normal flash (NB: format might not be supported on that flash type), and just copy a new boot IOS to that flash.

PS:

Which software is currently running? Your main IOS, although I believe it initially booted using the bootflash IOS which it turn loaded the main IOS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The bootldr image does not have to be the same as the IOS image.

Your router is running IOS 12.4(15)T3 - advanced security feature set.

If you are not experiencing any issues with your router then there is no need to change the bootldr.

Jon

Thank you Jon, one last question - how do you change the bootldr? I thought by using the "boot system" command it will change the bootldr the next time the router reboots - is this correct?

Thank you for your assistance.

Cheers!

The "boot system ... " command is used to tell the router which IOS to boot if you have multiple IOS images. It is not used to tell the router which bootldr to use.

If you want to change the bootldr you need to replace your existing one but if everything is working fine i wouldn't recommend it.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

On a 7200, "dir bootflash:" should show you your boot flash contents. You should see the file for your C7200P-KBOOT-M, Version 12.4(11)T3. (Believe this is where crashfiles are normally stored on this device too.)

Ideally, when you upgrade the main IOS you can upgrade the boot IOS to the same version, although as Jon notes, there's often little need to do so.

If you did want to upgrade the boot IOS, you erase or format the bootflash as you would normal flash (NB: format might not be supported on that flash type), and just copy a new boot IOS to that flash.

PS:

Which software is currently running? Your main IOS, although I believe it initially booted using the bootflash IOS which it turn loaded the main IOS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card