cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console to Aux

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

Let's say I have two switches on two different floors of a building that have a trunked fiber connection. The one switch I have the console cable connected to a serial KVM where I can get in out of band and console to the switch, but because the fiber connection got severed I can't telnet to the other switch but I have to get into it. can I connect the Aux port from one switch to the console port of the other so I can telent in that way? or is there another way?

Mike

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

hello Mike,

unfortunately lan switches (modern ones at least) usually miss an aux port but the answer is yes a connection aux to console can be configured and the one with the aux acts as a terminal server providing access to the other device's console.

I did this successfully with routers.

have you alredy tried a shut/no shut cycle on the switch you can reach of the fiber link port ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I want to set this up to avoid this problem. We had something simular happen so I wanted to see if this was possible. Can you send me how I have to have this configured? or direct me to some documentation.

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike,

first of all you need to identify the line number associated to the aux port:

RT-RM-TLD066-VPN-2#sh line | inc AUX

65 AUX 9600/9600 - - - - - 7 4397 0/1259 -

RT-RM-TLD066-VPN-2#

the number in my case is 65. This is useful to configure for reverse telnet

ip host new-vpn-2 2065 xx.xx.xx.253

the tcp port is 2000 + aux.linenumber

then you need to configure the aux port:

line aux 0

no exec

transport input all

transport output all

(I have also AAA authentication)

if I telnet to the host name I have to authenticate again and then I see the other router console

RT-RM-TLD066-VPN-2#sh users

Line User Host(s) Idle Location

65 aux 0 g.larosa incoming 00:02:04 new-vpn-2

66 vty 0 g.larosa new-vpn-2 00:02:05 10.55.49.56

* 67 vty 1 g.larosa idle 00:00:00 10.55.49.56

from a second vty 1, line 67 I can see that vty0 is connected to the host and to aux

To close it I usually use clear line vty.line.number from the second telnet session

you need a loopback on the router that acts as the terminal server: the masked address above is actually the ip address of a loopback.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I will try this out today...I hope :-)

I will post how this turns out.

Thanks.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: