cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

want to see a port going up and down

jason-calbert_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a cable that is not labeled and when I unplug it from the computer I want the switch to tell me that the port goes down and when it is plugged in I want it to tell me the port came back up. I then can tell where the cable is pluged in. This is a 4500 switch . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

10 Replies 10

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

You don't say which version of software you are running but assuming IOS you can use the "logging event link-status" command either globally or under the particular interface -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/40sg/command/reference/int_sess.html#wp2089281

Jon

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

Use the command:

logging event link-status

to have the switch generate a syslog message when the interface changes state. See this link for more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/44sg/configuration/guide/sw_int.html#wp1065425

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

when I do a logging event link-status from the global config screen it does not work. Do I have to go port to port to make this work. Thanks

Jason

Jason

No but have you enabled logging on your switch ?

Jon

Jon,

this is what I have in the configs

logging buffered 160000 debugging

logging console critical

Jason

Jason

I don't believe it is tied to the severity level.

Edit - actually scrap what i just said. Try setting your logging level to informational but be aware that this could generate a lot of other messages as well.

Where have you configured it - try adding it under the specific interface as well.

Which IOS version are you running on the switch ?

Jon

Jon,

I'm running 12.2(25)EW

I went ahead and changed my logging to informational but still could not run the command. However I did go ta specific port and was able to enter the command.

This does not help me as I don't know which port the PC is plugged into and that is the info I'm looking for by running the command and upglugging the PC and plugging it back in. Thanks

Jason

Jason

The command was introduced in this version so it should work.

You could use the "interface range.." command to quickly apply the command to all the relevant interfaces eg.

4500(config)# int range gi3/1 - 48

4500(config-if-range)# logging event link-status

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for your help I will go ahead and apply the command with the range command. Agian thanks for taking the time.

Jason

Globally it is probably "logging event link-status global" .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: