Helpful
Replies

FWSM NATing question

mohamed_makled
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

i have a 6500 switch with FWSM .

Its outside interface ip address is 64.x.x.219.all the users behind the firewall are natted on the firewall with 64.x.x.220.

nat(inside) 1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

global (outside) 1 64.x.x.220 netmask *****.

we have some servers on the DMZ interface of the firewall.

My question is :

if i have another real ip subnet (for example 84.x.x.132/28) can we use any ip from this subnet to publish any server on the firewall although its outside interface is configured with another ip from different subnet??????

waiting your replies.

regards

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mohamed

Yes you can as long as the traffic for 84.x.x.132 is routed back to the outside interface of your FWSM then it will be fine.

Does this make sense ?

Jon

Dear jon

Thanks for your reply.

what do u mean by 84.x.x.132 is routed back to the outside interface ???

do u mean from the ISP side that they must route the traffic of 84.x.x.132 to the outside interface of the FWSM (64.x.x.x) ?????

Yes, if you present a DMZ server as an 84.x.x.x address to the outside then any traffic destined for the 84.x.x.x address must be routed to your site. It actually must be routed to the outside interface of your FWSM but you may have other devices under your control between the FWSM and the SP. So it's safer to say the SP must route 84.x.x.x back to your site.

Jon

Thanks jon

Did u test this solution??? or did u apply this configuration on a firewall before???

regards

Mohamed

Mohamed

I have used this configuration on Pix firewalls many times before.

Jon

Ok jon

thank you very much.

it was pleasure to talk with you , and i hope to be friends in future.

Mohamed

No problem. Let us know if you run into any problems.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card