cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Unity failover to an existing single server system

kseraphine
Level 5
Level 5

I have a Unity 5 VMO system with AD/Exchange onbox. I need to add failover to this system. I want to keep the message store on the secondary. Ideally I'd like to make the existing server the new secondary and add a new server as the primary but the failover wizard doesn't have this option.

Is there a to add failover in this scenario without rebuilding and restoring?

My current line of thinking is to do this:

Build the new Unity server into the existing Domain and Exchange system on the existing Unity server

Use COBRAS to migrate Call Handlers, schedules, etc...

Use GSM to move subscribers to the new server

Once everything is moved and tested on the new server, run the failover wizard.

My concerns are that the failover wizard will not run if the secondary's UnityDb does not look like a freshly installed system and I'll have to either use configmgr to reset the database or uninstall and reinstall Unity.

Can anyone comment on the validity of this plan? Maybe someone knows of an easier way.

2 Replies 2

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would probably DIRT backup all and messages, then do a complete re-install. It will be the safest, but more work. Install the secondardy server first without Unity, just Exchange 2003 SP2. Then load the primary Unity server, with Unity, then do a DIRT restore. It will auto create the accouts for AD and Exchange and restore the messages.

Once tested, then run the failover wizard.

Make sense?

Bradford Magnani
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Kris,

Looks like you're on the right path. Running ConfigMgr.exe is pretty much your only option if you wanted to avoid uninstalling/reinstalling Unity. You'll want to run it with the Reset All Default Configuration Settings (New install configuration) All existing objects will be DESTROYED.

Brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: