Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-WLC4404-100-K9

nelson.chu
Level 1
Level 1

To all,

I have a customer who purchased (1) AIR-WLC4404-100-K9 to support (57) 1130 APs. However, he only purchased (1) GLC-SX-MM. Is it possible to configure the WLC to support 57 APs with only (1) Gigibit LAN network connection? This wireless network will only be used by guest users to get to the Internet, so there is no voice or other applications.

Thanks in advance,

Nelson

2 Replies 2

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

Data throughput on a 54Mbps wireless link is ~24 megs. With 57 radios, that's 1.4 gigs. If you're filling up your a and g bands, that's a max of 2.8 gigs of access capacity.

Your 1 gig uplink is slightly oversubscribed, but almost certainly not enough to worry about. Cisco's design recommendations allow an 8:1 uplink oversubscription from the before you even start to get concerned. If you have reason to think that all of your APs are going to be talking at full rate for an extended period at the same time, you might add a second gbic, but that's not a likely scenario in most environments.

dziminski
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think the 4404 will allow more than 48 APs to join without more than one Gig port enabled. Throughput wise you are probably OK, but the controller has a hard limit of 48.

I see this behavior on my 4402-50AP models. If I only have one gig port connected, I can only associate 48 APs. I need both gig ports connected with 2 AP-manager interfaces to get all 50 APs associated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: