Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter VLAN routing on 6509

mcarey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to configure inter VLAN routing on our new 6509 running: Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 1

2.2(33)SXH3a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1).

Every text I read says I must enable IP Routing using the "switch(config)#ip routing" command. I try to enter this command and get the reply "Incomplete Command". Can anyone advise me what I need to do at this point?

Thanks in advance

Mike

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

ip routing will be enabled by default on the 6500 so you don't need to enable it. In fact it is almost impossible to turn it off !

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. So, why then will the switch not route between my VLANs? "Switch#Show ip route" lists all VLANs as connected through active interfaces, DHCP addresses will be assigned from the server VLAN to the User VLAN (ip helper), but ping's will not pass through: destination unreachable.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Mike

Can you post output of "sh ip route"

Do the clients have the right subnet mask/default-gateway information. The default-gateway information is particularly important.

Jon

Jon,

The switch was set up not attached to our main LAN, I had not added a default gateway at this point. I can't send the output I'm afraid as the switch itself is currently being patched into a new server room (sans VLAN's at the moment). I assume then that the default gateway is the missing link then?

Thanks

Mike

Mike

If the default-gateway is missing from the client then all a client will be able to do is ping machines within the same vlan (assuming proxy-arp isn't running).

Each client needs it default-gateway set to the L3 vlan interface IP address of it's respective vlan.

Jon

Thank you for the help Jon. I'll try to resolve as soon as I can power it back on again.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card