Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HWIC-3G-GSM STARTING

I try to get an IP address for the interface this card generates (interface Cellular 0/3/0) I already did basic configuration for it but nothing happens. Doing "show ip interface brief" the interface is up in status and up in protocol and doing "show cellular 0/3/0 network" it seems like the card recognize the service provider but the service is in Inactive state. My question is if I have to use an username and password for this and how I get them (user and password)??

Any help I'll be great. Thanks

8 Replies 8

didyap
Level 6
Level 6

Here is the URl for the Configuring the 3G Wireless High-Speed WAN Interface Card for Cisco 1841, and 2800 and 3800 Series Routers (HWIC-3G-GSM).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/1861/software/feature/guide/3ghwic.html

I already had that manual, thank you anyway. I need to know if user and password MUST be given by the carrier to get internet access with the hwic-3g-gsm because I already did configuration example stated in the manual but it doesn't work. I mean, the interface cellular doesn't get an IP address. Do you know something about it??

If you have experience in PPP-configuring on dial interfaces you can apply them on Cellular interfaces as well. They work the same using Dial on Demand Routing. You need interresting traffic to trigger the dialer to make a packet connection to the cellular network. Then there is a PPP negotiation, then a dummy PPP authentication, then a IPCP-negotiation, where you will get the IP-address. The dialer string should be *99#.

Try sending traffic out the Cellular interface and watch debug dialer, debug ppp neg and debug ppp authen.

Just curious why your modem string is different than the one in the cisco instructions-they are showing "ATDT*98*2#" I have the same problem, cannot activate the profile I created.

Hi, I'm using that same modem string wich is "ATDT*98*2#" and I still don't know why this doesn't work, sorry. As soon I find out the way this works I will publish it.

Thanks for your reply on this but for ppp authentication I have not username and password because the sim I'm using it suppose doesn't require them so Do this can works without username and password on PPP Authentication command configuration line??

In answer to your question: Yes, you need the ppp username and password. If you contact your mobile provider they will provide it to you. You will also need the APN.

For AT&T in the US, I believe that the information is the same for all users:

apn: isp.cingular

username: ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

password: CINGULAR1

Some 3G Service Providers do not use a PPP authentication username & password. In that case you can create a profile by leaving those variables blank.

eg:

R1#cellular 0/0/0 gsm profile create 7 web.isp

where 7 is the profile number and web.isp is the APN (Access Point Name) provided by the Service provider.

To check if your profile is active you can verify by

R1#show cellular 0/0/0 profile

To use the active profile enter the active profile number (7) in the modem connection command.

chat-script gsm "" "ATDT*99*#7" TIMEOUT 60 "CONNECT"

But you will still need to configure a dummy CHAP hostname and password on the cellular interface.

interface Cellular0/0/0

ip address negotiated

encapsulation ppp

load-interval 30

dialer in-band

dialer string gsm

dialer-group 2

async mode interactive

ppp chap hostname 123@dummy.isp

ppp chap password 123

ppp ipcp dns request

max-reserved-bandwidth 100

!

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: