OSPF

Unanswered Question
Dec 4th, 2008
User Badges:

gusy i m confused abt config ospf...i have beebn working on eigrp for most of my networking career.....now we have some few clients and we have to design keeping in mind that ospf will be used....guys if i have a router in which serial interface is in areao adn its ethernet is in other area and i want that only intra area routes shd be updated to that ethernet area....what type of area shd i make it....stub or nssa??? secondly if i want the inter and intra area routes then....guys i m bit confuse can someone tell me thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Giuseppe Larosa Thu, 12/04/2008 - 07:13
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hello Khan,

>> adn its ethernet is in other area and i want that only intra area routes shd be updated to that ethernet area

totally stub area the area of ethernet interface

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty Thu, 12/04/2008 - 08:29
User Badges:
  • Super Bronze, 10000 points or more

Unlike, I believe, in EIGRP where you can control routes almost anywhere, within OSPF the control of this is at OSPF area boundaries. How this is contolled, is by certain OSPF configuration statements and/or the type of OSPF area.

If I'm reading your first question correctly, you want a non-zero area route updates not to leak out of the area, this would be accomplished by using a summary address (or addresses) that covers the area's internal routes. Area zero would not then see any internal area route activity within the non-zero area.

If you didn't want the non-zero area to see route updates from outside its area, then the type of area you would want to define would be one of the stub area types. The particular type of stub area depends on what other routes you want to allow to cross the ABR.

If you haven't seen it, Cisco's OSPF Design Guide might help: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094e9e.shtml

Actions

This Discussion