cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QMOE Configuration Help

cmorley
Level 1
Level 1

We have a main office which is set up with point to point connections between it and 8 outlying offices. Now we are connecting four of the outlying offices to the main office via QMOE. At this point each of the outlying office are set up in their own VTP domain. Can they remain in their own VTP domain or should they be put in the same one as the main office? I know I will have to split the ethernet port in the main office into 4 vlans and then have one of these vlans on the ethernet port at each site--correct?? Any help or examples would be appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chrlois,

if you mean Quest MOE

here the service technical specificastions

http://www.qwest.com/techpub/77411/77411.pdf

if you connect L3 devices over it you don't need to join the VTP domains I don't suggest this. I recommend to connect routed ports over the service.

the service can be vlan based as you see at page 29 /2-16

At the head end 8 vlans can be terminated in a single high speed interface using trunking

Hope to help

Giuseppe

If I read this correctly, you don't recommend joining VTP domains, right? That would be my preference. Thanks so much for the techpub.

Hello Chloris,

yes I would keep the VTP domains separate using the L2 service to build L3 point-to-point links.

But you can also use it to join the VTP domains as well. It is a question of size and to have additional points of control think of broadcast containement, STP span, security the chance to apply ACLs and so on.

I admit I didn't know what QMOE was meaning and I searched with google and on qwest I found the service tech document.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card