Advice on taking CCNP

Unanswered Question
Dec 5th, 2008

Hi all,

i want to study for CCNP but i am too late as the first chapter CCNP 1, is almost finished and i will be joining at CCNP2.

The college advised me not to start till September next year and start with CCNP1, but I am keen to get on with it and start from CCNP2.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to whether it is adviseable to do this?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Mario

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
crow930us Fri, 12/05/2008 - 02:52

If the college is following the Cisco course guides the first course will focus more on protocols and the second course will focus more on a switched network. So there should be limited information carried over from one course to the next. You can take a peek at what goes into each course here: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le10/learning_certification_type_home.html

In the end it will probably be up to the instructor as to if you are able to join the course midway through the course track. Talk with the instructor and see if they will allow you to join.

marioderosa2008 Fri, 12/05/2008 - 06:22

Hi thanks for the advice.

the instructor will let me join, he just advises that it will be difficult to join at CCNP2 because the BSCI course will give me a foundation for the rest of the course.

I am impatient and do not want to wait until september to start.

jim_berlow Fri, 12/05/2008 - 09:36

If the instructor will let you join, then go ahead and register. I can tell you there is little overlap between the CCNP1 vs CCNP2 (common background stuff, but not enough to worry about). Like you mentioned, waiting until September is a waste of your time.

marioderosa2008 Fri, 12/05/2008 - 12:50

Hi,

thanks for the advice. I just want to make sure that you do not really need the CCNP1 to be successful at CCNP2 and that i do not shoot myself in the foot cos it costs a lot of money!!!

I'll have another word with the instructor.

Nice one.

Actions

This Discussion