cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is the difference between vpn-idle-timeout and vpn-session-timeout?

ttrevino1
Level 1
Level 1

I have some users going through an 5520, and their session gets dropped at some point in the evening, rather than staying active until they disconnect. The config is set for:

vpn-idle-timeout 30

vpn-session-timeout 900

What is the difference in these 2? Does one override the other? Looking at these settings, I would think the session would drop after 30 minutes of inactivity, however, in another firewall, the config is set to:

vpn-idle-timeout 30

vpn-session-timeout none

and they don't ever get dropped.

Any suggestions? I need the vpn in the first config to not timeout overnight. Thanks, Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tony

vpn-idle-timeout 30 = the amount of time the vpn connection is idle ie. no activity seen on the tunnel, before it is disconnected

vpn-session-timeout 900 = the amount of time the VPN tunnel is allowed to stay up regardless of whether there is activity or not.

Both times are in minutes. So setting vpn-session-timeout to none as on the other device means the session time is unlimited.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Tony

vpn-idle-timeout 30 = the amount of time the vpn connection is idle ie. no activity seen on the tunnel, before it is disconnected

vpn-session-timeout 900 = the amount of time the VPN tunnel is allowed to stay up regardless of whether there is activity or not.

Both times are in minutes. So setting vpn-session-timeout to none as on the other device means the session time is unlimited.

Jon

Hi John, thanks for the help, that answered my question. Have a great day!

Hey John, one last question, can I make this change without affecting currently connected vpn users?

Tony

Now you are asking :-). From memory i believe these settings are negotiated when a client first connects so if you change them it should only effect new connections and should not reset existing connections.

But i wouldn't want to bet my house on it, so if you could do during quiet time it would be best.

Jon

Okay, thanks. I'll just let them know when I'm going to do it, so they can disconnect and reconnect. Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card