cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast and Rendevous Point

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

I've just got onto a new contract where all the routers (150) are running OSPF routing domain. The old engineer stated that he had setup an RP on one of the routers, but can't remember which one.

All the router interfaces are running sparse-dense-mode.

Question:

How can I locate the current RP?

How can I setup an RP for just one multicast address?

This there a document that explain Rendevous Point?

Thank you in advance.

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

David

Sorry but couldn't help laughing when i read the engineer said he'd set it up but couldn't remember which one - bit like needle in haystack :-)

1) do a "sh ip pim rp" should show you the active RP's in use -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/command/reference/imc_06.html#wp1017020

Do you know if they are active ? Also do you know how he defined the RP ie.

i) statically on each router - guessing not as then you would have found it

ii) Bootstrap

iii) Auto-RP

2) Could you explain a bit more exactly hwat you want. You can use access-lists with RP to define which RP will be responsible for which group

3) RP is used with PIM sparse mode. Have a look at this link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/solutions_docs/ip_multicast/White_papers/mcst_ovr.html#wp1009081

Jon

hello Jon,

if the RP was manually configured the old times engineer should remember its IP address after having put the same command on all 150 routers in the OSPF domain !!

I use

sh ip pim rp mapping

RP equates IP PIM sparse mode.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

I find myself NOT wondering why they put a new engineer on this one...

:-)

"if the RP was manually configured the old times engineer should remember its IP address after having put the same command on all 150 routers in the OSPF domain !!"

You would think so wouldn't you !, maybe he is just a bit absent minded :-)

Jon

Hello Jon,

it is clear the old times engineer is not collaborative, it can be not easy to be from a human point of view.

However, in his next job he can be on the other side to be the one that has to continue somebody's else job.

Also the level of documentation about the network is important for the new taker: it is important to understand the level of detail, completeness and freshness of documents.

Can they be trusted ?

Are network maps reflecting the current state of backbone and sites ?

Can I access all network devices with my account(s) or there are special cases (for example firewalls just to say)

There are network design or architecture documents for example for multicast ?

Have been network incidents traced in some way?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card